Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my hive today and saw a bunch of dead drone bees they look young and last week I seen a pupa in front of the hive, recently put on a second brood box and put 2 frames in it but doesn't look like they have working very hard on it, question what's up with the dead drones in front? 1st year keeping

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dude.....chill. Not everyone spends the day hovering over the computer(or nights).
Drones get kicked out if the girls have had enough of them. I have one hive that drew out two medium frames of solid drone. I pulled those and they drew half of another, then once they figured it was enough, began the eviction process. Not sure why this time of year as I expected it to occur going into summer dearth.
Don't sweat it...unless all you have is drones and no worker brood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you cajunbee, but when 90 people look at your thread and can't give any insight it's frustrating.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thank you cajunbee, but when 90 people look at your thread and can't give any insight it's frustrating.
I'm assuming that this count probably includes people who aren't registered, and thus can't reply. It also includes the people who are registered, and could reply, but may decide not to because they simply don't have an answer for you or aren't comfortable making any suggestions on the basis that others may have better insight than themselves.

It's hard to give you an answer with but a text support and vague descriptors. "A bunch", "look young", "a pupa" (singular?), "recently", "2 frames" (of what?), "doesn't look like..." I find it really hard to try to picture what you are witnessing. Pictures usually help a lot when trying to get others to help identify problems. And give people time to answer...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Drone population will go up or down as they're needed. Let the bees decide. Not to worry.
I read you put a 2nd brood box on top and put 2 frames in there. If I read this correctly then you should fill up the space with the remainder of frames (IE: 10 frame box should have 10 frames...5 frame nuc should have 5 frames and so forth) If not, then the bees will start building comb all catty-whompus on your inner lid. You'll have a mess to clean up and the bees will have wasted all that effort for nothing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The two reasons that come to mind straight away is theres no flow and stores are low or varroa affecting the drone brood.
Are you experiencing a dearth at the moment? thats top of the list for my mind

1 - 7 of 7 Posts