Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went looking at the hive today and noticed some dead bees outside the hive, also half dead carcasses and some woozy looking bees. Looked like the bees couldn't fly. They are lighter in color and quite a bit bigger than my honeybees but otherwise look similar. Could these be robbers and the bees are taking care of them? Hive looks normal to me other than that, everyone's working hard, doesn't seem agitated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A picture would be helpful...but on your description of "larger" bee's, I am guessing drones getting the boot maybe....I've been seeing a few more of them outside and around my hives in the last week or so....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A picture would be helpful...but on your description of "larger" bee's, I am guessing drones getting the boot maybe....I've been seeing a few more of them outside and around my hives in the last week or so....
bees 001.jpg bees 012.jpg bees 007.jpg

Thanks for bringing up the drones. I was thinking the drones were darker. I saw this article:http://beeinformed.org/2013/11/why-your-drones-are-getting-the-boot/

Sounds like drones are only worth raising if there is ample food available, otherwise, they're a drain on resources. The bee world is harsh.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
"The bee world is harsh." Yes it is! My girlfriend thinks it is the funniest thing in the world that the girls toss the drones out to starve or freeze before winter.

Yes, I am looking!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
"The bee world is harsh." Yes it is! My girlfriend thinks it is the funniest thing in the world that the girls toss the drones out to starve or freeze before winter.

Yes, I am looking!
Maybe because those girls that are throwing them out are doing all the working, caretaking, and the drones are only looking at the pretty queens. Only one thing on their minds. They just aren't really paying attention to a word they are saying.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Drones are also the first caste in the hive to suffer from the virus load transmitted by mites. This is because through the summer, the mites are attracted to the drones. In my region, mite effects on workers escalate exponentially in August/September when the drone brood cuts off, and the mites migrate to the worker cells.

Check your mite levels if you are beginning to see dead drones on the porch. Drones that are able to fly (i.e. low virus loads) depart by wing when ejected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts