Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a hive inspection today and noticed that about 8-10 cells had full brood in them but they were dead. The abdomin was sticking out but they were not moving and dead. The queen is still in the middle. The broods nest is kind of scattered. Been having problem feeding with the broadmans enterance feeder with it leaking. Went back to the top feeder. What could be causing the problem with the dead brood? Is the queen good? Are they kind of starving because of the leaking feeder? The broods nest seems kind of scattered but there is a lot of capped cells. What does a small hive beatle look like? Seen some small looking bugs but not sure if they are SHB or not. They were kind of round and look like they had armor on. Seen two. Need some help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
SHB adults look like a black ladybug only a little smaller than a ladybug. Are you saying that the dead brood is head first in the cell?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes. The dead bees or brood is head first in the cells. I don't know if it is actual brood or adult bees trying to suck whatever is in the cell out.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Does the hive have stored honey? If not, then it sounds like they might be starving, but that is very unusual this time of year. Could be you just saw some bees placing nectar in the cells or pulling some out to use it. Get your feeding operation set up correctly, whatever method you use, and see what happens.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the top feeder set up now. They are going through the sugar water about a liter in the past day. I have a few dead bees around the outside of the feeder and they are getting under the wire screen I placed in it to keep them from drowning. When I looked in the hive they have some capped cells but not a lot. They seem to stay around the enterance a lot. I see some bees with pollen sacs full flying in and out, but not a lot. When I looked at the bees in the cells they were not moving at all. But they might have been just busy cleaning. When should I do another inspection? Just did one Thursday. Should I go ahead and feed and wait a week, or should I do one quicker then that? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If I thought I had a problem I'd go in there every day until I figured it out. You are not going to hurt an established hive by going through it. Just be careful and don't squish the queen.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I will start going through it tomorrow to see what is going on. The top feeder is working good now. Not a lot of dead bees drowning now. I want to make sure that everything is good so good to know I can go in as much as possible. Let you know on what I keep finding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts