Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2 hives each started in May, relatively equal numbers of bees, I have top feeders on them with floats (to reduce drowning issues)

Ive noticed a lot of bes at the enterance of one hive bees rubbing themselves in apparent grooming. A lot of activity around the feeder if I peek. The other hive seems quiet with bees comming and going, only occasional large numbers on the landing board.

I opened the hive top this afternoon that had so many bees consistantly on the landing board, I found at least a hundred bees drowned in the feed, with hundreds working around the feeder area, and they were very docile. I was withouh hood and no smoke, just shook them off took off the top feeder and emptied it nearby. I've rinsed it out, found a rib of wax along most edges. but no apparent visible issue with the hive.

Feed was put on from the same source on the same day... The other (with no dead bees) seems to be taking the feed just fine with all normal activity.

I suppose the good thing is that I saw a difference in activities between the hives which coused me to investigate.

I'll leave the hive without feed for a cpl days and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My top feeder doesn't have floats. Could it be that they are overcrowding the feeder? Can they enter and exit freely? If they are drowning, could you put some hardware cloth so they do not get pushed into the syrup?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for some #8 wire today, I think I can make a bridge of wire in a U shape to bridge across the enterance of the feeder into the sugar water.

I only have this problem with one of three feeders, and Im not sure it is a systematic problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts