Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A report...

The bees hauled out dead bees yesterday, there seems to be at least a hundred in front of one hive and half that in front of another one....

One is shaded in the day. I don't know what maybe it's getting ready to collapse?

It's still alive but.....

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
You have to remember the dead pile up in the cold spells and get hauled out when the weather breaks. A hundred at one break in the weather is not too much from a strong hive. Check the bottom board inside. Is it pretty free of bees or is it covered? If it's covered you have a problem.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check again tomarrow MB but I the floor is clear.

I'll remove the reducer and double check further back..

This one hive seemed to be pretty strong going into cold weather..

I had a frame of honey out on the porch and bees covered it a couple of days ago, and it was only 47 degrees. The wax was hard, I pricked the cells with a toothpick and they cleaned it out pretty quick.

Then I brought the frame inside.

Some bees were getting to cold to fly. I found them and warmed them in my hands, they flapped the wings in I put them to the hive entrance and they made their way back to the warmth...

I don't like watched what they have to go through in the winter... ;(

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's true...

Hadn't thought about it from this perspective.

BjournB will probably get upset due to the simplicity of this string... LOL

God Bless Us All.

·
Registered
134 Posts
HaHa Daisy, im glad to see someone else out there that warms up cold bees, and puts them back in the hive. I do that too, my kids think im crazy......

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
>>I found them and warmed them in my hands, they flapped the wings in I put them to the hive entrance and they made their way back to the warmth...

I think these bees that fly out during winter are flying out for a reason. They are old dying bees and it is in the bees instinct to fly away from the hive before they die.

Ian

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ian, these bees had come to the community feeding table where I had a frame of honey out.....

She was flapping her wings to create friction to survive... That was indication to me that she wasn't ready to go yet.

;^)

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
beebarf, what a unique name!!!

I remember reading this here somewhere... Maybe it was one of your posts..

I think I do stuff like this because it makes me feel good.

;^)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts