Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at one of my two hives this morning. Large swarm I caught in early May (my first ever swarm/hive). This is what I saw at my hive entrance. 1402232820841.jpg 1402232979871.jpg
Here's what it looked like yesterday. 1402174650956.jpg This is more activity than normal and why I took a picture yesterday.
This is a brood frame from last week from the same hive. I think it looks weak and spotty. 1401656448001.jpg
Here is a theory (from all my 2 months of beekeeping). Could this swarm have had an old queen that is laying mostly drones and the hive is weeding them out? I saw what I think is a queen cell in the center/side of a frame last week. I didn't open the hive up and look today because it's raining here and I don't know what I could do about this anyway.
Thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are appreciated. I hope the pics work. Not too good on the computer/phone thing.
Thanks, Bret

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am new here also. But to me it looks like you are right. Drone brood. Anyone else out there with a different opinion.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Possible drone queen but it looks more laying worker. Move eggs/ brood frame from your good hive and hope they start queen cells. i would use an outer part brood frame and shake off the bees, you want your good hive to stay strong.
With only 2 hives there is not much room for bad luck. I would not go to a shake out yet.

It is also possible you are in late stage superceder or emergency and those are killed queens not drones, I cannot tell.

Next step is a good look when you can. New eggs would be great, hatched QCs almost as good. It goes downhill from there. Look and come back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts