Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a couple days of rain and temps in the 40's (F), following a week of decent bee weather.

I went outside this afternoon and saw lots of dead bees on the front porch of the hive (clickable pictures for larger views):

Note that it was still drizling a bit of rain, so that's why things are wet.

I've never seen this type of dying - the usual dead bees that the undertakers remove are somewhat shrivled up.

Does any of this look familiar, and anything i should be concerned about?

I cracked open the top cover and saw some good typical bee reaction ("Hey! Close the door!") to my intrusion.

Thanks - Steven

·
Registered
146 Posts
I saw this on mine but much earlier in the season, when snow still covered the ground. You have had decent weather where they have been actively out gathering pollen, I assume, before this cold snap? It looks like pollen particles on the board there also. I would be suspicious of a chemical poisoning of some kind, if anyone has been spraying in the area. If so, you would probably continue to see some dying the next several days though I hope it would not affect the whole colony.
I would also reduce that opening, especially if you are getting lower temps like that. I still have the smallest opening now though will soon move to the next larger opening (though we are getting a freeze warning tonight.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts