Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found them in a pile right below the entrance. Looks like undertaker bees are hauling them off.
Maybe 100-200. All look to have their stingers intact, tongues are hanging out.
They look fuzzy like new bees to me. Not sure what got them, going to check them out later this evening. Looking through the window, it looks normal inside. They have 35 or 36 bar built and i can see stores.
My first thought is they got into some garden poison somewhere, but I have 5 other hives in my yard and none of the others have dead out front.
Temps have been very decent, 85-90° highs, a little rain at night, light winds. Two days ago they were bringing in lots of bright yellow pollen, I can't imagine they are starving.
Still a first year guy so everything is new. I'm going to open them up tin a little bit and look for eggs, queens, stores, etc.
Anything special I should be looking for besides that?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
What do things look like inside the hive?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you live near any crop fields? The only time I notice a large amount of dead bees right outside the hive is when the fields near me are sprayed. I usually see this continue for 2-4 days.
Also wanted to note that I have seen this in one hive and not the other at times as they are positioned in different parts of the yard and seem to prefer to take off to forage in different directions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No mosquito trucks around me. There is a soybean field, corn and Milo all within three miles. Soybeans are closet and their entrance IS the only one that faces that direction.
There's also a 4 acre vegetable garden about 1/4 mi away. They have a single pollination hive so I HOPE they aren't spraying.
Went and looked in on them tonight. Things looks OK. Last three bars are solid honey, capped and open. Capped brood, open brood, larvae and eggs. Didn't find her majesty but stopped when i saw eggs.
I hope that was the extent of the dead bees.
Will check again tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts