Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a lot more dead bees on the ground than ever. I am removing Apivar this week after 6 weeks of treatment. I have been feeding with syrup 2-1 radio and they have been taking it all alone. I have added up Hive Alive to my feeding and have followed the radio per liter correctly. So I know that I have not missed the proportions. Anyhow I am suspicious about this product and while the colony seems to flow and behave completely normal in and out of the hive I am being to wonder if this product is creating the loss of bees or if it might be the 6 weeks of Apivar exposure or if it the cycle of the weather changing...? Do we lose more bees at the end of season? My bees have been otherwise incredibly strong and healthy.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
did you happen to notice if they were mostly drones, they get thrown out in the fall, in the years we have a fall. Apivar shouldn't be a problem. when feeding make sure there is no robbing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you happen to notice if they were mostly drones, they get thrown out in the fall, in the years we have a fall. Apivar shouldn't be a problem. when feeding make sure there is no robbing.
Thank you for your response. They are not all drones, and I also noticed young bees, lighter colored..So that's why I am concerned... I am wondering if some of the ingredients in Hive Alive like lemon grass might have a sedative way too calming effect on the bees?...I have no clue...But it worries me and I have not seen this before during the season.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
What is the purpose of Hive Alive?
If it contains lemon grass oil it may be attracting robbers...and the ensuing fights may explain the dead bees.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HiveAlive contains a precise amount of lemongrass in order to increase attractiveness of syrup but does not contain enough to induce unwanted robbing. Lemongrass also has a calming effect on bees.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
but does not contain enough to induce unwanted robbing
What makes you so sure?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing makes me so sure. That?s why I posted the question. I am looking for answers or suggestions

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
No offense intended, your reply sounded as if you had discounted robbing. As beeman mentioned, anything smelly can lead to robbing, LGO is smelly and an attractant. With or without LGO, the first thing I suspect when I see a bunch of dead bees in front of a hive is robbing. I'd look for evidence inside the hive but if it is robbing, they'll be back if there is anything left to rob. If the hive still has bees, recommend you reduce the entrance(s) and keep an eye on them for robbing/fighting. Lots of threads on how to slow/stop robbing as well as preventative measures. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It´s normal if the bees reduce bee numbers this time of year. The winter bees are the ones which sustain the colony through cold times. The old summer bees forage as long as they can then they die.

But: is this ApiVar Thymol?
Nebenwirkungen
Es kann vorkommen, dass die Bienen Futterreserven direkt unter den Streifen entfernen. Eine Behandlung bei Temperaturen von über 30°C kann vermehrt zu Stress und erhöhter Sterblichkeit unter den Bienen und der Brut führen. Während der Behandlung kann im Bienenvolk eine leichte Unruhe entstehen. Erfolgt die Fütterung während der Behandlung, kann die Futteraufnahme reduziert sein.
Side effects:
It´s possible the bees shift food stores directly under the ApiVar stripes. Treating with warm weather ( 30°C) is stress and can lead to higher die offs of bees and brood ( not this time of year I believe).
There can be stress behaviors in the colony while treating. If you feed while treating food processing can be reduced.
IMO I would not use something like lemongrass in this situation, this could mean more stress. Why not just feed sugar syrup with a small amount of vinegar, lemon juice and oak rind tea?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
HiveAlive contains a precise amount of lemongrass in order to increase attractiveness of syrup but does not contain enough to induce unwanted robbing. Lemongrass also has a calming effect on bees.
Increase attractiveness of syrup???
I have an orange colored bridge here north of me I will sell you at a discounted price.

There is not polite way to tell you that you are wasting your money paying for a product that will "increase the attractiveness of syrup". All around the world bees are drinking down millions of gallons of syrup with NOTHING added to make it more attractive. And all around the world billions of bees are VERY CALM! WITHOUT HIVE ALIVE!

I

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
No...it is Amitraz

Or even better yet...just sugar and water.
Ah, thanks beemandan. Amitraz is known here as having no real results, often not working.
Yes sugar or water is ok, better is taking only surplus of honey and leaving them their own honey to winter on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much! I just visited the hive. Removed the syrup. Bees look very active and healthy inside the hive. Definitely not happy to see me. Very vital and alert. Will keep watching.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts