Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need opinions.

I installed a new packages Feb 27-10 with top feeder 1-1 syrup.

Did an inspection Mar 2-10 on this one and saw the queen but no eggs.
Temperature has been only 1-2 days of 2 degrees Centigrade and mostly around 6-12 C.

Opened Mar 14th and this is what I found. Everyone was dead. Does it look like starvation?? If so why didn't they take the 1-1 syrup.

All hives have been flying for last 2 months. Weather has been really great.

Any ideas?

-Geoff

·
Registered
574 Posts
It looks like starvation, bees with heads in the cells.
you would be better feeding something more solid like fondant as those temperatures are low for feeding liquid.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yes it looks that way to me. I would have thought that would have been to coldto do new package up there yet. Around here we don't start doing package to end of March to med April

·
Registered
421 Posts
Way too cold. We don't get packages here until around the end of April, first weeks of May.
Where in the world did you get packages in Canada, in Feb?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have had a great "winter" so far. February was 40 - 55 F. The girls have been flying since January. We just had a 2 day spell last week where the temp went down to 38-40F. The other three packages that I installed the same day are doing fine.

We generally get the fist packages the end of Feb and quite often the temp drops 21F for a week or 2. This is the first time out of 10-15 packages over the last three years that they have just up and died.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
My question is where in the wourld did you get a package in Feb in Canada?? :s

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Looks like they starved. Way to cold for them to go into the top feeder and get what they needed. Syrup needs to be available at the cluster in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Wow, that's seems awfully cold to be installing new bees.
With your current nighttime temps, it's still too cold for them to be going up and drinking cold syrup either, I would think.

·
Registered
855 Posts
What the ..... are doing a kanadian beekeeper with packed bees in February? In New Zealand is late summer and they get rid of the old bees......I always thought kanadians are smart.

When you put the bees in the box they must have at lest two combs of sealed honey and than feed feed feed….and most important is a warm hive.
It would be nice if I could sell my old bees before they die but here it’s not possible to find a customer.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
looks like a great incentive to go to bucket feeders on the top bars. good luck,mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
We have had a great "winter" so far. February was 40 - 55 F. The girls have been flying since January. We just had a 2 day spell last week where the temp went down to 38-40F. The other three packages that I installed the same day are doing fine.

We generally get the fist packages the end of Feb and quite often the temp drops 21F for a week or 2. This is the first time out of 10-15 packages over the last three years that they have just up and died.
I think your lucky they all didn't die, with the cold snap you just had.
Those kind of dips are what takes out weaker overwintered hives everywhere.
A friend of mine just lost all 5 overwintered hives, same time as your cold spell.
Very early to install packages and you may not be out of the woods yet.
I am not familiar with the weather up there, but here in Northern WI it still can drop LOW well into April. Beekeepers here wait till Mid April, early May for packages.
I think your rigid insulation has been effective or your losses may have been worse ?
You could reduce the size of the entrance(s), so the draft effect is less.?
I set a block of wood front of the small entrance on my hives during the last cold snap here in WI., removed it now that its warmer.
Don't close the top all the way, because of moisture which is higher when feeding 1:1 syrup or than when the girls are dining on honey.
Mixing syrup in stronger ratio might help slightly.

These are all my opinions and as such may not be correct, there are ongoing opinions about entrance size and placement......anyway, good luck.

63F outside 87F inside top cover.... HEAT WAVE OUTSIDE !
(I have a few NEWBORNS running around)

BM

·
Registered
557 Posts
pukakoe, did they not take any syrup? If not they starved. There is very little nectar at this time but lots of pollen. I like to feed 2 to 1 syrup in an inverted quart jar over the inner cover and change it out every couple of days with warm syrup making sure they know it is there by sprinkling a little in and around the hole. You don't want them to have to travel very far from where they have made the main cluster.
Did you look to see if the queen was in the hive still? Did you direct release?

·
Registered
760 Posts
wow -- first im sorry for your loss -

second .... How did you get a package this early??? did santa drop one off on the way home???

yeah its still too cold for liquid feedin - they would take dry or candy -

in Washington we start in April with packs

but you still have a box !!!!! try again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts