Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. My first concern is that there were hive beetles on the package that I received... Should I be worried? I smooshed two of them- but I could see at least 6.

2. I installed the bees last night. It went well. I did not get stung. This morning it is wet (rained early AM) and cool outside (52 degrees). There is not too much activity outside the hive. Maybe a handful out and about at a time it seems like. I didn't dare open the hive as it was cold and I didnt have my gear on.

So basically, what can I expect over the next couple of days?

3. I was told to leave the queen in her case for 3 full days. Do I count their day in the package together as one day?

Thanks in advance! This is an exciting new journey for my family and I :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't think that there is any exact number of days. Just make sure that you have removed the cork on the queen cage on the end that has the least amount of candy to eat through. (There could be candy on only one end too.) If the bees have not released her after five days, I usually just cut the screen on the cage and release her that way. Others will do this differently but this is what I've done with no problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's better for her to come out a little let than a little early if the start to build comb they're less likely to abscond
With the few beetles check and see if she's out in five days or on a nice day and take out the cage
Check a week later to see if she's laying

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Don't worry too much about the SHB as long as your hive stays strong you won't have any trouble from them.

I would go with a full three days not counting the first day. I think a lot of new folks have problems with packages because they get in too big a hurry to get the queen out of the cage. A couple extra days in the cage won't hurt the queen at all but, getting out a couple days early could mean big trouble.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The queen was in the package for several days already so the three day period is not a hard number. Assuming you removed the cork from the candy end the bees will take of the rest. Tuesday or Wednesday check and you should be good.
Keep an eye on the beetles. If you continue to see them in the hive then ask for guidance.
Other than checking for the queen release in a few days leave them alone for a week. Bother them too much early on and they may leave. Then check them once a week and observe. They will start drawing comb right away and.you should see eggs and larvae 2, to 3 weeks.
Do you have a beekeeping club near you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts