Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed two packages Saturday night and I still need to retrieve the queen cages. Today is day 3 but we have had a mix of rain and sun all day in the low 70's. It is currently not raining but still overcast and a cold front with more rain is moving in tonight with rain most of the rest of the week. Should I go and pull the cages today despite the less than sunny weather or let them sit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wait a week. It lets the workers get to know the queen and accept her more readily. Just pulled my queen cages on Sunday 5/11 after adding her on 5/3. I think leaving the hive alone for at least a week is a good policy. Also, the weather should be nice and sunny, the bees are less likely to be in a foul mood. If you had to you could wait up to two weeks before you check on them and remove the cages.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If she's out pull the cage! Unless you like all that messed up comb they'll build on it and cause of it. Leave it alone for a week after you pull the queen cage is the best policy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If she's out pull the cage! Unless you like all that messed up comb they'll build on it and cause of it. Leave it alone for a week after you pull the queen cage is the best policy.
Peeked in quickly during a break in the rain and neither one was completely released but they were close. I'll probably give it until Saturday or Sunday and check again. I'm sure I'll have some comb to clean up (one of them had already built all the way around the cage even today) but no big deal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
My first year showed much the same as yours. I waited because everyone was so insistent that the drizzly weather would no be a good time to go poking around.
I let it ride almost a week and when the weather was right, in I went. I had some of the funkiest comb to deal with! What a mess.
This year I pulled the queen cages on my schedule and all went well, even though the weather was snotty, just like last year.

For what it's worth, I worried about that stupid funky comb and then felt terrible about all the larvae that I had to kill. Not this time! There's my experience for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It was 55 deg cloudy and breezy today. The girls were just fine with the 3 day inspection. The queens were released on my two hives and they had already started building comb. One of the two hives was toppled by the wind two days ago. I am still concerned ,since it only has half as much comb as the other hive.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am still concerned ,since it only has half as much comb as the other hive.
When the need arises and the bees have started to increase their population, they will build what they need!

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you wait for perfect weather to care for your hives, you risk not getting much done. Even in sunny California the weather is seldom perfect. If you open the hive and the bees are agitated, close it and try again later. More times than not, the bees will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I usually wait about three days and check. Since I'm in there anyway, if the queens aren't out I'll direct release them (unless the workers are crabby towards her which is rare). If I'm not around in three days and I get back to them in a week they're almost always out and I just pull the cages and tidy things up. Unless it's pouring out, I do my thing no matter what the weather is. It only takes a minute to get it all done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My first time dealing with package was this year and for me the weather was awful here in upstate NY it was a cold spell with wind and rain low 50's during day and 30's at night. I put package in hive at 5 pm after getting them home and it was raining, the next day i released the queen myself. I figured they had been in the package 5 days together they didn't need more time to become used to the scent. Now keep in mind i am really new this is 2 nd year and my first hive didn't live thru the brutal winter we had. I spent alot of time worrying last yr about doing things just right. This year has already proven to me that there is no JUST RIGHT way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts