Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered to some degree here and there with other posts, but not specifically around swelling that occurs on day 2 after a bee sting.

If nothing was applied or taken at the time of the sting, is there any remedy that could be applied that would reduce swelling on the second day? I got a sting on my ankle yesterday and today my foot is swollen to the point of being uncomfortable to walk. I'm supposed to be playing volleyball tomorrow evening, and I'd like to get the swelling down if possible!

Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
Nothing is as effective the next day as it is immediately... Heat tends to break down the proteins in the venom. It also increases swelling. Cold tends to decrease swelling. Alternating is probably best. Plantain is the best immediately, I have not tried it on the second day...

Registered
It is like hunting for a witch doctor, and most have tried everything possible. I use Benadryl cream it seems to help a bit. but acting asap is the best remedy

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ... believe it or not there aren't any plantains nearby my yard (need to plant some i guess!). Guess i'll start taking a care package with me so I can apply remedies right away.

Registered
The times that I've been stung in the ankle my feet always swell. Since the feet and lower legs have the most work to do to return the blood to the heart, it takes them the longest to get rid of the bee venom. Chances are you may miss your volleyball game. Sorry.

Registered
The itching has always been my peeve too. The last sting I applied baking powder paste, then later some kind of sting pen (basically lanocaine based) and I didn't have that driving itching this time. The baking soda was applied about 40 minutes after the sting, so it wasn't like I got to do anything immediately after either. I was stung right below my eye, if that had anything to do with why I didn't have crazy itching this time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the itching was driving me mental last night @ 2:30 AM. I ended up getting up, icing it for 5 minutes and (in desperation) spreading some toothpaste on the area. To my surprise, it actually worked and the itching subsided after about 10 minutes or so and allowed me to get to sleep. I got some roll-on benadryl today which appears to work quite well as well.

Just wish i could get the swelling to subside!

Registered
I swear by arnica montana cream for swelling & (bruising). Also comes in pellet form for persistent injuries. A 4' Cement Statue fell on my leg ( femur smashed into tibia & broke my tibia)...I put arnica on immediately & barely had a bruise...And I bruise"like a bad piece of fruit" as my mother says. I have used on bee stings & it helps decrease & or avoid swelling. Good Luck

Registered
Interesting. I've been stung an embarrassing number of times and have experienced itching maybe once or twice. Itching is unbearable to me and I'd much rather be in pain than have relentless itching. I also get bit by many ticks every year and they itch like mad for two weeks. I use a roll on itch reliever that smell like ammonia. I can't remember the name of it.
If it is just the swelling why not try elevating the leg above the heart while wearing some compressive socks? The compression should force the fluid away and once it does just wrap it with an ace bandage. The fluid should move easily away from the compression. Bad part is that where ever the compression stops the fluid will likely be concentrated. Think Michelin Man.

Registered
I'm with Harley....Preparation H, and Vagisil. (Just don't buy them both at the same time of they'll think you're really messed up 'down there'! :lpf: )

As far as the swelling, unfortunately not much you can do at this stage but elevate and ice. A couple soaks in some epsom salts is always a relief... I learned a long time ago, day one is nothing....day two sucks! Day three things start to improve...day 4 better....day 5 better...you get the point.

Registered
If stings made me itch I doubt I'd continue keeping bees. Three stings today and after three hours I can't remember where they were. Oh yea, two on my back and one on the hand. Ears, nose, eye lids are the worst pain but I just can't imagine being able to handle itching from every sting. Maybe an allergist can offer advice? I don't know if itching is a normal every sting reaction but it would concern me enough to get an opinion from an MD. Doesn't sound like a typical reaction if it occurs after every sting.

Registered
When I get stung...all too frequently..it initially hurts, turns red and swells then it itches. Elma cream, a topical anaesthetic, temporarily helps with itch sensation.

What I find interesting is some stings react much less than others.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
If stings made me itch I doubt I'd continue keeping bees. Three stings today and after three hours I can't remember where they were. Oh yea, two on my back and one on the hand. Ears, nose, eye lids are the worst pain but I just can't imagine being able to handle itching from every sting. Maybe an allergist can offer advice? I don't know if itching is a normal every sting reaction but it would concern me enough to get an opinion from an MD. Doesn't sound like a typical reaction if it occurs after every sting.
Yes, itching is a very normal reaction - I would suggest it's more abnormal to NOT get the itch as a result (count yourself lucky). Apparently both the itching as well as swelling can subside (and even go away altogether) after immunity is built up.

Registered
For many years I have used electricity on bee, hornet, and wasp stings.

You get a 9-volt battery (fire alarm style), wet the area around the sting, and apply both battery poles to the sting for a couple of minutes. The sooner you apply the battery the better. You do not feel the current. In minutes you will not know you were stung -- no pain, swelling, or itch. I have told this tip to many people (some very sensitive to red wasp stings) who have used it and all confirm its effictiveness. Just this morning I received a message from my niece who is a school nurse.

"Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I had a kid come in with a bee sting today, and I tried your battery trick and it worked! Awesome!"

Registered
For many years I have used electricity on bee, hornet, and wasp stings.

You get a 9-volt battery, wet the area around the sting, and apply both battery poles to the sting for a couple of minutes. The sooner you apply the battery the better. You do not feel the current. In minutes you will not know you were stung -- no pain, swelling, or itch. I have told this tip to many people (some very sensitive to red wasp stings) who have used it and all confirm its effictiveness. Just this morning I received a message from my niece who is a school nurse.

"Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I had a kid come in with a bee sting today, and I tried your battery trick and it worked! Awesome!"

hmmm wonder if it fries the proteins? Now I wanna go get stung and try it out.

Registered
hmmm wonder if it fries the proteins? Now I wanna go get stung and try it out.
Absolutely! I'll be putting a 9 volt battery in my bee tool belt first thing tomorrow and I suspect I'll be able to test it soon. I did check out a couple of hives today and made it out without a sting. I'll report back on whatever findings the battery trick provides. Thanks for the tip-I'd love to know the reasoning behind the claims. I'm not doubting it but I'm clueless as to how it would work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts