Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

Does anyone have experience of feeding date syrup to bees? I gather the natural sugar in the syrup is better than fondant (which is inverted sugar).

Any wisdom on the subject would be gratefully received. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Greetings.

Does anyone have experience of feeding date syrup to bees? I gather the natural sugar in the syrup is better than fondant (which is inverted sugar).

Any wisdom on the subject would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Can you detail what your gatherings indicate as being better? For bees or for humans? For wintering bees one of the most valuable properties is low solids content and freedom from starch. Crystallization is also a negative. For these reasons some honeys are clearly inferior to glucose syrup as winter feed for bees. Price per pound is also a large factor in deciding what is better.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would say no. Date syrup is very dark indicating that it has a ton of non-sugar stuff in it. I would avoid feeding that stuff to bees at all costs. Its the same reason why you don't want to feed bees brown sugar or molasses based feeds. It will give the bees dysentery. Also, inverted sugar is great for bees, thats why people use fondant, it is sucrose (table sugar) that has been (partially) broken down into glucose and fructose which is what bees naturally eat. Heck, honey itself can be defined as an inverted sugar syrup since that is 95% of it's non-water weight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts