Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the hives I inspected today had dark caps on some of the brood. Most was regular color, but dark caps were mixed in. I opened a few and the larvae look fine. I didn't pull them from the cell, but they looked like healthy heads. Any ideas on why some of the caps are dark?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi Heather,
Seems to me the older the larve, the older caps are darker. Did ya compare the lighter capped with the darker capped. Which was more developed? How ya been lately. ? Are ya still working on your grafting, or finished for the season?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The different colors were mixed in together. More a blackish color than a darker, older cap.

Doing well here. Finally have some time to get some projects done. I've hung up the grafting for the season, but plan to do a few more walk away splits to get to 20.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
One of the hives I inspected today had dark caps on some of the brood. Most was regular color, but dark caps were mixed in. I opened a few and the larvae look fine. I didn't pull them from the cell, but they looked like healthy heads. Any ideas on why some of the caps are dark?
It just confirms that wax is being recycled - some older wax crumbs got reused in a pinch.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Hi Heather,
Seems to me the older the larve, the older caps are darker............
That would be uniformed pattern - like, getting dirty after being walked on.
Like I said, older/darker wax crumbs got recycled in and ended up as darker caps there and here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts