Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a junior bee suit with hood and gloves for my son's b-day on 4-22 from their internet site. About a week later I recieved an e-mail that it was on back order, on their site it was listed "in stock". I have yet to recieve the order today 6-4. On the forum I have noticed lots of new people, I guess myself included it being my second year. Is there a tremendous growth going on in bee keeping that the suppliers cant keep up with all the new business? Is this normal in the spring of the year, I know its their busy season.Are other people have the same problem in getting supplies? I hate to keep calling if their really trying and Im trying to be patient and think I have been. Im beginning to lean on the side of asking for my money back, this bee season is going to be over and he is going to miss it all. Just wondering about the Newbie situation? I would like to own a business that cant keep up with the demand for my products!! :scratch:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I stopped using Dandant for the exact same reasons you listed. I find that Mann Lake and Glory Bee are excellent on their internet shopping and have fast shipping though their sites are a bit weird but it seems to be the norm with bee supply companies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hate to say this, I have not used Dadant in two years because of slow shipping. After this last order from Rossman's, I am probably not going to use them. It took two weeks to get my order in and I live in south Alabama, not three hours from their location. I can order from Mann Lake in Minnesota and get stuff quicker.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same problem with Mann Lake.. placed an order on 4/24 on an item listed in stock. 3 weeks later I contacted them about the order and they informed me it was out of stock and they expected a shipment on 5/20. Today I checked their website and it was listed as unavailable so I canceled the order.

Blueline

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My local Dadant has mentioned several times that the increase in hobby beeks and renewed interest in beekeeping has put a strain on them as well as the manufacturers. Its a good thing for the industry and everyone involved in the supply end of things... but trends are pretty easy to see, follow, and adjust for from a manufacturing standpoint. Sounds like a manufacturerer has not increased production or failed to properly plan. That being said, it might not all fall on Dadants shoulders but waiting 2 months for something I paid for and need is unacceptable. I would request a refund and find your suit somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I ordered a hive carrier from Dadant. The shipping was one price one day and double the next. I thought I was going crazy. I called them and they told me they had upped the price because of them getting burned on the last big order they shipped. But, they honored a lower price for me. They were very nice. They, like all of the bee keeping supply company's are not really large but, look that way on the web. The web is deceiving. Kind of like in the wizard of OZ the man behind the curtain.

Get your money back and order from someone else. I like Mann Lake because I some times drive to Sacramento and get my stuff. they are nice to me and I can email the sales guys with questions and they respond. Each of them have there plus's and minus's.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have been in retail for 12+ years and can tell you that stuff just happens sometimes. At times, inventory is not taken correctly, or on hand counts aren't updated due to a system crash, or the manufacturer isn't meeting the demand. I guess because I know this stuff happens, and having been on the receiving end of MANY ticked off customers, I'm more tolerant to backordered items than most. I do like Dadant. I do like their products. I have yet to have an issue with them. Yes, sometimes the order doesn't get here when I want it to, but things happen and I'm willing to wait. I think part of the problem for all companies is that most customers want instant gratification. I can't tell you how many people that I've dealt with have cancelled an order, or never placed one, because they couldn't have it right now. Don't discount a company just because they don't get your order to you the instant you think it should be on your doorstep. The fact that a company has to backorder should tell you that they're getting a lot of business and if they are getting a lot of business, then they are worth keeping around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts