Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of having a yellow jacket nest under their honey bee hive. I'm not positive but I may have this problem. I am hesitant to move the hive to find out for sure, but I'll probably get fully suited up some day this week and check. If the yellow jackets are there, they are toast. Of course I'll have to do this with out chemicals. Find their queen and smoosh. LOL

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,992 Posts
I haven't had that problem, but I'm sure they would. I have had those yellow and black paper wasps, and mud daubers in empty equipment.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited October 18, 2004).]

·
Registered
458 Posts
One think I have noticed this year when extracting feral hives from walls.. In almost all situations there was a yellow jacket hive extremely close to the honeybee hive entrance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have noticed more yellow jackets around my hives this fall, than I did last year. I have noticed guard bees wrestling with them on several occassions and I even found a dead one in my hive top feeder this past Saturday. I put the entrance reducers on to cut down on the robbing.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things may be different in your area, but wasps and hornets will abandon their nest in the winter, and don't return to the same structure every year.
They don't really have the same hierarchy as the honeybees. Killing a yellowjacket queen won't do much for you, assuming that there is only one.
Unless they are causing trouble, your best bet is to leave them. They won't be around for long. Otherwise use a non-toxic wasp spray such as the mint stuff.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed alot of yellow jackets under my hives this fall. They were always flying in and out from under them... I discovered that they were trying to get into my hives thru the screened bottom board. It seemed to really become a problem when the goldenrod flow was on and they could smell the honey and they haven't left yet.

I am not discounting that you have a nest under there but they may just be trying to get in the bottom of your hive.

I had to put my entrance reducers on a month ago because the bald-faced hornets, bumblebees and yellow jackets got so bad. My hives were in a state of uproar everyday.

[This message has been edited by dtwilliamson (edited October 19, 2004).]

·
Registered
351 Posts
We had a major robbing episode going on this past Saturday. They were after the weak hive but were really assaulting the strong hive next door, too! Lots of yellow jackets, hornets and robber bees. It looked like an all-out brawl at the entrances of both hives. I've never seen it this bad before. I closed up all the holes on both hives and put the entrance reducers in.

Next morning, there was a pile of dead yellow jackets & hornets (and a few workers) in front of the weak hive. Looks like the girls gave better than they got!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I've been having the same problem as dtwilliamson this year. Lost two hives and part of a third to baldfaced hornets before I even knew what hit me. I've since screened the entrances and have seen only an occasional hornet, but the yellow jackets are relentless. The girls are fighting them off admirably. Garden spiders, orb spiders, praying mantids and lizards see my girls as a free lunch, too. They've been having one heck of a year. I'll be glad for their sake to see the colder weather come in.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, I inadvertenly left an empty bottle of beer close to the hives and was amazed how many yellow jackets were dead in there after a day - 4-5 layers of YJs. Seems like a real good jacket trap. Not sure how it works since the top stays open and they should be able to fly up and out. But they don´t seem to get it. Maybe the dark glass picks up the sun and it gets too hot in there. After spending all this time building well engineered jacket traps out of 2liter pop bottles I feel like a fool - should have drunk more beer instead and left the bottles outside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts