Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told dandelion honey was pretty awful, almost not for human consumption. Is this true?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I dont know how you could get any DL honey because they are useing it to build brood

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If the weather is right there can be a really good flow(nectar) from dandelion. It tastes bitter but I wouldn't say it was not for human consumption.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mine are bringing it in.....big time. I planned on leaving it to them anyway, but if there is a dandy around, they are on it......

·
Registered
546 Posts
This must be a location thing. Here in Ohio, we get a big strong flush of them real early in the "bee year". They use it for early spring build up, than, they are mostly gone for the rest of the summer. Usually, this early in the ballgame, removing honey is the last thing on my mind. Must be a location thing I guess.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Where I live bees hardly even touch the dandelions. There must be too many floral sources they prefer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My bees have bee bringing it in like crazy. Some have even look as if they have rolled in it. This early in the year the bees will be using pollen and what little nectar will be used for brood building.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts