Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you already have small cells bees (mine are from Don 'The Fat Beeman') is there any problem with using small cell foundation. I am looking at Dadant's website and they say that only really experienced beekeepers should use their 4.9mm was foundation.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Roger,

You purchased small cell bees. So yes you would buy Small Cell foundation.

Also check out Brushy Mountain.

Brooklyn

·
Registered
318 Posts
Never had a problem with small cell regardless of the bees. Went straight to small cell foundation without regression on my hives, they did just fine.

Did three packages this spring into small cell foundation, drawn small cell and foundation. They've done just fine.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I went through a case and a half of small cell foundation and I don't think that I got one cell that was small cell. I still have the half case left. I have melted most of the frames down over the past couple of years, but I still have some in the hives. They are pretty funny looking. I mostly leave them on the edges of the boxes now for honey storage.

I guess I am not experienced enough to use it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, all. On the bulk of this info I went ahead and ordererd some 4.9 from Dadant. Will check out Brushy Mountain next.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You should not have any trouble unless you do not have small cell bees. That is why they place the caveat. Some new beeks try to put 5.3+ bees on 4.9 and a mess ensues. "This stuff dont work." etc. You should also try Mann Lake pf-100s. They work great and never a problem. I put large cell bees on this to regress them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should not have any trouble unless you do not have small cell bees. That is why they place the caveat. Some new beeks try to put 5.3+ bees on 4.9 and a mess ensues. "This stuff dont work." etc. You should also try Mann Lake pf-100s. They work great and never a problem. I put large cell bees on this to regress them.

Thanks. I will try the PF-100 too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts