Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing if there is any interest. Would anyone be interested in Dadant deep nucs in the northeast? 11 1/4" frames.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Clayton - I'm not in the North East, but what'cha got?

I'm making a small run of modified square jumbo Dadant / Brother Adam beehives. I could use 4 to 8 sets of 14 frames, but I use the narrow (1.240 inch wide side bars, undrilled) frames (that's why I need multiples of 14 instead of 12). I like the Hoffman grooved bottom bars, 3/4 inch thick. The tops I prefer are 7/8" square. I prefer douglas fir, ash, or oak for the large frames.

I've made frames plenty, but am having a difficult time getting a place to work. I'll get the boxes dialed in soon, but the frames would save some time.

I don't really see the need for more than 2 nuc's, as the full-size hives are used as 2-queen systems.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kilocharlie- I was testing to see if there was any interest in dadant depth nucs stocked with bees. For people interested in running the dadant type hives. This wasn't really meant to be an equipment pitch.

For years i've been really interested in the dadant depth equipment. But as everyone knows the equipment has fallen out of favor here in the states. I personally would like to see it make a come back. There is great appeal in managing a single deep box as a broodnest. So over this winter I was planning on setting up a few colonies as a side project. I even was think of a yahoo group dedicated to this hive in the US. Maybe sourcing equipment and foundation to facilitate a platform for this hive to re-appear. This was kinda a feeler to see if anyone out there had any interest.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
For years i've been really interested in the dadant depth equipment. But as everyone knows the equipment has fallen out of favor here in the states. I personally would like to see it make a come back. There is great appeal in managing a single deep box as a broodnest.
My thoughts exactly - only my own interest lies with the somewhat smaller Gallup frame, at 11 1/4 X 11 1/4. But - same ambition.

Good luck with your project.
LJ

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have just dipped a toe into the water. I have one Dadant depth box occupied and another to go next summer. Also one a bit deeper frames to fit in 2 stacked medium boxes.
The one box got filled with honey while I was waiting for a queen. It is going to be a learning experience to manage them. Even the single standard deep brood box system is a different experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts