Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to cut queen cells from a swarmed hive to make nucs. All of the swarm cells are attached to the bottom or side of bottom bars. Will I have trouble cutting them out without damaging them and placing them into other drawn frames?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I wouldn't think so as long as you cut out plenty of wax around them. Don't try to cut close the queen cell, give yourself plenty of room for error.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. Related question I just thought of. I want to reduce it to 1 deep from 2 and leave one queen cell. That will mean the queen cell will be on the very bottom of the hive just above the screened bottom board. Anything wrong with that?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
As long as you have enough bees to keep the cell warm it will be fine. Just be careful if you are using cells from the bottom deep that they are not smashed or blocked by the new bottom board having less space. It wouldn't be a bad idea to block off the screened bottom until the queens are hatched.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I think that's basically what she's doing only she's making a full split out of it. I have lost capped Queen cells in nucs when there wasn't enough population to keep them warm and a cold snap showed up. A full split should give you plenty of bees to keep it warm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts