Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience in cutting 9 1/8” brood frames that have drawn comb in them down to 6 ¼” medium or 5 3/8” shallow frames? I have seen where this has been done with empty frames but not with frames containing drawn comb. Also, do you really need a bottom bar? The foundation and comb is already securely waxed in place by the bees? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
IMO, don't waste your time, just go buy new frames the size you need. I am sure all that you mentioned above can done. Just too much time involved to justify it to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You want to take deep comb and cut it down to medium size? That seems like it would be extremely hard ann most likely ruin the comb.

I know when I try and do cut outs the comb is extremely hard to cut right and it always ends up messed up and not how I want it. Good luck seems like it'll be a hard task.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I just cut down about 200 assembled deep empty frames to mediums as on Michael Bush's site. Based on what I just did my guess would be that your comb would most likely shatter in the process. Can't hurt to try though. The worst that could happen would be that you have to cut out some of the comb if it becomes too damaged.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
On some other threads of similar topic, where Michael Bush has responded, he describes actually cutting them down, with and without comb. If I were actually cutting down frames with comb, I'd use my band saw - it also works well to cut plastic foundation out of one-piece molded plastic frames.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I was also regressing at the time, so I scrapped my comb when cutting them down. I don't know how well it would work with comb in it, but it would, of course vary greatly depending on horizontal wires, vertical wires, plastic foundation, DuraComb, DuraGilt etc.

Honestly it doesn't take them that long to replace it... just leave a little at the top and you won't need any foundation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts