Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is the problem i found that Dadants Crimp wire foundation does not fit their new style wooden frames very well it is too long so then it bows out in the middle.
It is probably 1/8-1/4 of an inch too long. So an ideas on cutting it fast? i need to do about 2000 in the next week or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
If you take a utilityknife and cut out where the wedge was connected;there is always a little wood left there when you break out the wedge it will fit. try it maybe it will help?:s:scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,645 Posts
I just did 600 med frames that were there new frames with foundation that I had bought last year with no problem and I did as the previous poster said, cut out the little piece of wedge. did you buy the wax this year or was it also old wax??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Are they deeps? Just before the pepper tree bloom (Sept) I did 600 deep frames (new frames according to Dadant-High Springs) no probs with foundation fitting. Maybe a good paper cutter, one with the blade attached to a handle that you pull down would work in a pinch, probably would ruin the blade but might work:scratch:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,567 Posts
We have had this problem too, when using the CW with hooks.
We run the top bars through the table saw to cut a bit more out of the wedge. We are definitely hoping Dadant reworks either the topbars or their foundation, it is a pain.
Sheri
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,789 Posts
I had a bunch that way last year. It didn't fit their old frames either. In each box of foundation, about every third sheet was too long. The only solution I could think of was wire cutters and a utility knife. It was a nuisance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the ideas i use a groove top so cutting out the wedge is not an option and of course the frames are all put together by the time i figured this problem out. i tried the paper cutter idea yesterday and no luck it would cut some of the wires but not all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,293 Posts
I have a 24" bench top hand sheet metal shears, Diacro? The bed is deep enough that I can clamp a piece of wood to it as a stop, and use another piece of wood to get behind the hooks, and pull them back to the stop, and slice. Although it was time consuming, I could slice and embed in less time than it took Christian to install them in the frames. Did 2400 last year, will do 2400 more very soon.

Roland
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
If you are using groove tops, may I presume you are using groove bottoms?

I've had much older frames not match the newly purchased foundation, exactly, but since I was using divided bottom bars, they would only stick out a smidge. These also had hooks that I nailed behind the wedge bar. What stuck out didn't bother me, except if I had used groove bottom bars it would obviously buckle.

Sorry for your frustration. About the only thing I can think of is a metal shears or wire cutter to nip off the excess wire ends. I don't think I would bother trying to try the wax, necessarily. It will crumple. Nipping off the wire ends wouldn't take too long, but still a hassle.

Grant
Jackson, MO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Swarm Trapper,
Just thinking out loud.... could you make the bottom boards divided bottom boards with a table saw or router. Maybe others with better woodworking skills can figure out a jig to make the process quick, easy, and safe.
-Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes i use a grooved bottom bar. i could probably run them through the saw to divide them maybe ill try it tomorrow on a few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
I had a bunch that way last year. It didn't fit their old frames either. In each box of foundation, about every third sheet was too long. The only solution I could think of was wire cutters and a utility knife. It was a nuisance.
This is what I did. I made a gauge that slid over the foundation, cut it with a utility knife, then sniped the wire ends with a set of dikes.

It wasn't all that fast but it worked for what I had to get done.

K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
A little more time consuming and precise than cutting the bottom bars would be to cut the top bars out. This would make them slotted top bars. the advantage is that you would save time installing the foundation, as it would just slip in from the top and be secure. Then you could cross wire if you wanted to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
yes i use a grooved bottom bar. i could probably run them through the saw to divide them maybe ill try it tomorrow on a few.
That is what I did on 250 frames I did last year. I set the blade just deep enough to cut the rest of the way through the bottom bar.
Got the idea from Betterbees frames.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Something that works very well for me is a large paper cutter. I like a large one as the lines on the field of it keeps everything straight. I also cut my wire hardware cloth with it. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i have tried everything and i finaly broke down and bought a big sheet metal sheers wow it works great! cuts them off perfectly every time and is fast. thanks for the idea roland
Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Dadant's crimp wire with a hook is a pain. The hooks are too long, it is only bent at about 80 degree angle which makes it longer yet. I use a wire cutter and knife. You would think for the size of the company they would have some type of quality control. I think they are falling behide the times. Just this year they got 8 frame equipment.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top