Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I transferred a swarm today and they had built some comb hanging down from the top. I pulled it away and placed it in the hive body. Seemed that maybe there is a better way. What’s the best way to cut the comb?

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,154 Posts
They don't reuse it so feel free to just remove it.

If it's a little bit then don't worry about giving it back. If it's a lot you can rubber band it into a foundationless frame.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I didn’t know where the queen was so it was mainly to get the bees into the hive box.
There was another clump and I didn’t see comb. I think this was the location of the queen. I ended up placing the swarm trap on top of the frames after I moved the two frames I had in the trap and covering it with empty boxes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If it is smaller than a playing card, its not worth saving. If its a lot, you can take an empty frame with no foundation, wrap some rubber bands around it and nestle the wax in the frames inside the rubber bands. But it has to be a good size piece of comb, like a third of a frame's worth in order to do that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is smaller than a playing card, its not worth saving. If its a lot, you can take an empty frame with no foundation, wrap some rubber bands around it and nestle the wax in the frames inside the rubber bands. But it has to be a good size piece of comb, like a third of a frame's worth in order to do that.
Ok. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts