Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a friend who has 2 colonies that he is going to exterminate if i dont retrieve them. 1 is in the floor of a semi trailer. the other in a pile of cedar logs. the only way into the trailer is through the floor.they are in a steel box under the wood floor. how do i keep from wrecking the comb when i will be removing their ceiling where the comb will be attached. any suggestions!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Use a saws-all and cut just inside the steel box. As you get three sides done, try to wedge up the flooring and just flip it over. Or, do one board at a time.

Good luck.

Post pics for us.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought about cutting the boards and attaching them together to lift it all out, but the space is equivalent to 2 deeps and i figured it will be attached to the bottom of the box also.

·
Registered
507 Posts
:eek:

If the space is equivalent to two deeps, ouch, be careful, those combs are going to be extremely heavy with brood, nectar, pollen or some combination thereof.

Take pics and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
429 Posts
cut it out 1 board at a time. it will be tight, and messy, but take your time, and do it slowly, make sure when you are done, you get the bees off the bottom of the box too, the queen could be there. I figure the comb won't be stuck to the bottom, but it will be stuck on the sides very well. if there is any way to open the side, that might be a better option to go with. Keep us informed, and take pictures, I am watching for the most difficult location to do a successful cutout from. right now it is a gas tank, but you could top it with this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts