Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I did my easiest cut out yet this morning. A tree limb came down with a complete hive in it. The brood comb completely filled 7 medium frames. The limb was split easily in half. The bees were cooperative, mellow and plentiful. No visible mites, or SHB. We left the hive there to pick up tomorrow night, to catch foragers, and if the queen was hidden in a crevice of the tree limb, hopefully she crawls in.

I verbally agreed to do it for the bees only, as it was at the home of one of the custodial crew were I work. Hours later, her grandmother leaves my buddy, and partner in cutouts a voice mail; that she is the owner of the house and wants the bees, or wants half the bees. There is a bit of a language barrier, she doesn't speak very strong English apparently, and I am hoping the voice mail was asking for honey from the bees. there was only nectar, which I plan to feed back to them. He's going to try and figure it out on his shift this evening.

Either way, it show that a written agreement ahead of time is important. :waiting:

·
Registered
533 Posts
She wants half the bees? Shake out a few frames on her doorstep. There you go. Even Steven....

Had a job like that where I was doing a job very cheaply as a favor, and the woman inside wanted ALL the honey. I gave her half and she wasn't happy. Told her she could go into the wall of the house and pull out the rest....Keep the check...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the plot thickens- oh so sweetly

Turns out the grandma lives in New york, the cut out occurred in Florida. Not sure there's enough mead in this house to dilute this experience. I'm picking up the bees Saturday and going from there.

Too much fun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I dont get 'em in writing; I do cut out all the time and most of the time we have a verbel agreement, one time a man tryed to back out and not pay me , I had not removed the hive that I vac' the bee in from his house yet! so I said if you dont want to pay me I will leave the bees with you and started to take the top off the hive where we did the cut out.He saw what I was doing and yelled I was kidding, I said that I was not kidding ,got my money bees and equip' and left. I always get my money before the bees leave the house.Good luck rock!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Owned a septic service company awhile back,cleaned out the customers tank buy he balked at paying the agreed price. As the hose connecting my truck to his tank was still in place I said ok I can understand and started to open the release valve to refill his tank, he decided real quick to pay.ALWAYS GET PAID while you still have some leverage and get the agreement in wrighting.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Always get it in writing. Even if they do pay you, who's to say what was agreed upon for the price? I don't do repairs for the cutouts that I do, I am not a contractor, I am not licensed to do repairs. If you charge, lets say $300 for a cut out and you only get a check from them, nothing else in writing, they have something showing they paid you $ for something. You have nothing saying what that payment was for and they could take you to court saying "no, he was suppose to take the bees, then repair the wall." You don't have much of a leg to stand on. In California at least, most of these crappy judges would make you liable, even though you can prove that the repair cost more than what you were paid. I learned my lessons about "verbal" agreements 15 years ago. GET IT IN WRITING FIRST.

C2

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I took some advice from y'all, had a cold one, went fishing, caught some nice redfish on the flyrod, came home, didn't have any whiskey, but had a glass of Flor de Cana with a fresh lime off the tree. Filleted the fish, might have the grandfolk over for dinner tomorrow night.

Probably go pick up the box in the morning with my sunglasses on.

Might make a good remix to Brad Pasley songs. Gonna catch all the fish, gonna drink all the beer, go get them bees, bring 'em back here....

hmm.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I thought Mythomane's post was very funny and appropriate...they want half the bees, after you do all the work, fine, shake some out for them and let them provide the wood, etc. LOL I thought it was great.

Now, that I'm getting calls and requests from the bigger towns, I'm certainly going to draw up a simple, one page contract for them to sign that basically states, I will be cutting into the structure of the home, I'm not responsible for repairs and this is my fee for doing the job. I'll sign it and have the customer sign it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you search this forum, there are several cutout agreements posted in threads. Most look very useful. I think I searched cutout contract, or something of the like.

·
Banned
840 Posts
maybe my area is unique. I do removals and cutouts all the time here in Omaha, NE and the surrounding metro area. I have never had anyone want to keep any of the bees if I remove them, nor the honey. It literally has never been brought up.

though I did once have someone call to ask me to capture a swarm on a tree, hive it on their property and then manage it for free.

I said if you want bees, I will be glad to help you learn beekeeping, but I won't do it for you. They never called back.

some people's children.

Big Bear

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just sniff out the good ones. The grandma lives in NY, and wants here daughter here to manage the hive. The daughter is deathly afraid of bees. After speaking with her at greater length, she said she'll tell her mom she killed them, and we can take them LOL. Life is an adventure

·
Registered
98 Posts
Always get it in writing. Even if they do pay you, who's to say what was agreed upon for the price? I don't do repairs for the cutouts that I do, I am not a contractor, I am not licensed to do repairs. If you charge, lets say $300 for a cut out and you only get a check from them, nothing else in writing, they have something showing they paid you $ for something. You have nothing saying what that payment was for and they could take you to court saying "no, he was suppose to take the bees, then repair the wall." You don't have much of a leg to stand on. In California at least, most of these crappy judges would make you liable, even though you can prove that the repair cost more than what you were paid. I learned my lessons about "verbal" agreements 15 years ago. GET IT IN WRITING FIRST.

C2
THIS! Always assume that the people you're dealing with will sue you. It's sad, but that's the world we live in now. You have to make sure you cover your butt because one day you'll come across someone that will try and take the opportunity to get some easy money from you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
maybe my area is unique. I do removals and cutouts all the time here in Omaha, NE and the surrounding metro area. I have never had anyone want to keep any of the bees if I remove them, nor the honey. It literally has never been brought up.

though I did once have someone call to ask me to capture a swarm on a tree, hive it on their property and then manage it for free.

I said if you want bees, I will be glad to help you learn beekeeping, but I won't do it for you. They never called back.

some people's children.

Big Bear
And they probably wanted to keep the honey also... Baffles me how some people think.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Now, that I'm getting calls and requests from the bigger towns, I'm certainly going to draw up a simple, one page contract for them to sign that basically states, I will be cutting into the structure of the home, I'm not responsible for repairs and this is my fee for doing the job. I'll sign it and have the customer sign it.
You might also want to add something along the lines of "no assumption of liability or any damage to the structure that the work is being performed on." so they don't come back and say you damaged their foundation or something as equally stupid and try and sue you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts