Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a cut out I am doing in an old barn; here is a check list of tools I just made.

I am going to use a zig zag wire, thumb tacked on the outside of the frames instead of rubber bands to secure the comb in the frames. It's a trick I picked up from DCoates last year.

Any other tools or items I might need in your opinion?

Hive

• 1 Bottom board with entrance reducer
• 4 medium supers 1 w/ comb or foundation-3 w/ zig zag wired frames
• 1 empty deep to use as a “funnel” when shaking bees off the comb
• 1 Inner cover with screen wire taped over the hole
• Telescoping cover
• Lemmon grass oil w/ Q-tips
• Queen cage and queen catcher
Cut out tools
• Bee brushes/ turkey feathers
• Hive tools, large knife
• Small containers to “scoop bees” with- gladware w/square sides
• 3 smokers
• Torch
• 8 smoker fuel rolls
• Bee vac
• Extension cord
• Skill saw and sawsall
• 2 Hammers
• 2 small and 1 large nail/wrecking bars
• 5 honey and wax buckets/tubs
• Screw gun and screws
• Scrap wood and strap(s) for hive moving
• Duct tape
• Moving screen
Protective gear
• Veil w/ jacket for each person +1
• Gloves
• Tape or rubber bands for cuffs
• Cooler full of water
• Benadryl
• Epi pens
• Extra clothes
Comb Fitting table
• 2 Cookie sheets for transport
• Folding table
• frame wire holder
• Wire cutters
• 2 big knives
• Extra thumb tacks
• Nitrile Gloves
• Water bucket to rinse hands in
• Rubber bands
Misc additions
• flashlight
• camera
• stapler
• Trash bags

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok maybe 3 is one too many.

I composed this list based on a search of the forums.

trash bags and a flashlight are good additions....thats exactly what I am looking for!! thanks

Oh yeah, a camera, and a stapler are going on the list too.

RKR

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is a luxury, but I have an inverter on my truck to plug in a bee vac, etc. Maybe also bring a hose for an outdoor faucet. Also, scaffolding is really nice for the high cut-outs -- aint worth breaking your neck off of a ladder, and you can leave the hive up there and let the bees find their new home.

·
Registered
232 Posts
a white sheet to spread out under the cut-out in case she falls[had this happen,buddy asked me if he was looking at the queen&as I got ready to climb back up the ladder I noticed her contrasted on the white sheet ],cardboard to cut to fit over large holes she might flee towards[some queens are olympic track champs,a spray bottle with household ammonia with a sprayer ,not mister,for directional spraying in case she gets by your blockades&you need to run her back out

·
Registered
74 Posts
:) One more item... especially if the house/barn/shed doesn't have power.

If you are near a Harbor Freight Tools retail store, you can get a terrific small generator to power your Bee-Vac. See HF Generator.

Mike

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
A well thought-out list. Always better to be over-prepared than to be found wanting. You never know what you'll be getting into.

My problem in the past was not having enough buckets for honeycomb that I didn't want to wire into the frames. Make sure they have lids or you'll incite robbing. I also make sure I've got my long-bladed, serated bread knives for cutting the comb from the structure. A spatula has come in handy when trying to scrap larger areas.

There have also been times when I brought a buddy along. There wasn't much for them to do but they kept the homeowner entertained by answering all their questions and allowing me to focus on the cut-out.

In the heat of this summer, I'd also bring plenty of liquid refreshment.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
119 Posts
To locate...if you want to go in all high tech...
-infrared thermometer
-bore scope...

-various drill bits for locating colony / starting the cut if you use the sawzall

-LED head lamp, I don't know how I was able to live life before they invented these... with red lens filter if possible, because, inevitably you won't be all the way done until past dark...

-I second the old sheet or tarp idea. Also if you will be working inside, plastic sheeting & tape to section off work area from the rest of building. Remember that often times it is easier for the homeowner to repair sheetrock than siding. I know it doesn't apply to your situation but just something to think about.

-Also, if you are using bee vac I might recommend plain water (no sugar) in the spray bottle, I don't like the bees sticky going down the hose, and it works just as well for keeping the bees from flying.

-for your "comb fitting table," I like to use something that doesn't squish as many bees that are still on the comb like a cookie sheet would. One thing that works great is a nursery plant tray, the kind that has plastic cross bracing across the bottom with a lot of empty holes, kind of like a milk crate. The top of a super (with frames in it) can also work for this, bees on the bottom can escape between frames. Doesn't work great if you are dripping a lot of honey though...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with the above list but i would include a stethoscope in the list of tools that you would need. check for a humming sound then do the cut out will save a lot of work that way

·
Registered
111 Posts
Steel Wool.

As I was getting started on a cutout last Sunday I noticed a few bees checking out the holes drilled through studs and headers and worried the queen might use them to escape. While looking around for something to close off the holes, the homeowner offered me a big pad of steel wool and it was perfect for sealing the holes and a few cracks. You can use a screwdriver or something similar to scrunch it in and seal just about any small opening.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
You said you were going to wire the combs into frames. You forgot to put the wire on your list.

You will likely need a step ladder or a regular ladder. If you have to use a regular ladder, make sure you have a couple hooks to hang your buckets from ladder rungs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts