Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about comb orientation. I’m doing a cut out on Friday with vertical comb in an attic. This is going in a deep lang. Since the comb is currently vertical, do I need to cut it to fit my frame and keep the orientation the same? Or can I turn them to better fit the frame. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You should always keep the comb oriented in the same direction as it was removed. If you don't the bees will hatch out the brood and usually stop using it after that.
JMTC. Good Luck with the cut out!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that was my plan, just double checking myself. This should be a very easy one (famous last words...) I was in the attic yesterday in a pair of slacks and a polo after working to pay the man ( and feed my addiction/ Hobby) and the girls had tons of new white comb right out in the open. A couple of boxes left over from the last home owners that I did not move between me and them, so don't know what that is hiding.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
see if you can get power to run a fan up there.suit up for battle'cause tame as they may seem now, that could easy change when you dig in. that said many cut-outs come off with no problems at all-but its too late to suit up if you have a problem!
good luck,mike

·
Registered
507 Posts
I second the opinions here. You WILL be in a battle the moment you start working and cutting on that comb. The girls take a very dim view of intruders attaching the comb.

You really need to keep the cell orientation the same direction as when you cut it out. The cells on the combs are in a wide, open "V" shape with the cells tipping slightly upward. You really need to keep that "V" shape turned upwards.

Good luck, take some pics and tell us all about it.

Don't forget frequent ice water breaks, those really help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We never try and attempt to transfer any honey. Put that in a container separate. Only transfer brood. The honey will drip when cut to fit and suffocate bees, its not worth it. I feed it back later.
JMTC.

·
Registered
232 Posts
bring a couple storage bins to sling the honey comb in....bring some white sheets to place under the comb to be tore out,in case the queen falls,&1 to put where you are putting the frames&brood together[rubber bands are great to hold it in place]....bring a cardboard box&duct tape to cut for blocking off any route you might have a queen flee[up the roof or down in the cornice line]....some ammonia in case she gets past your roadblock&you need to flush her out[a little bit will run them out quick&make sure to run it down a surface slowly from both sides to center so you flush them up rather than spreading them out]....cut the honey out towards the brood from both ends so the queen runs to center of brood... plastic to put under where you are cutting to catch all the dripping honey...oh yeah have fun,drink lots of water,&don't point the fan at where you are working in case she falls&gets blown away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts