Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you want to keep all of the brood? I'd think so since you will have more bees once they emerge but maybe there is a reason not to.

if there is a lot i'm hoping to find a frame size of eggs and make a nuc that can raise a queen for a backup hive.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
When doing a cut out you ALWAYS want to keep the brood. ALL of it if at all possible. However if there is a comb of nothing but drone brood, you can toss it. The actual honey comb is the actual part that some people keep but alot of beeks dump in the crush and strain bucket. Gets very messy when trying to tie in a frame of honey while doing a cut out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. I have a clean bucket ready for honeycomb. this one has the potential to be pretty big so i'm bringing 3x 8 frame meds and a 5 frame med. nuc.

should have pics by the end of tomorrow.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,043 Posts
What they can cover. If they can't cover it all, focus on emerging brood that will boost the population sooner and is less prone to dying from lack of attention while you are doing the cutout. If you get too greedy the SHB will sometimes take over...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts