Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did a crush and strain on some cut out comb I had. did the bucket in a bucket with a paint bucket strainer. let it strain for 4 days. when I took it off it had 2 less than dime size white spots floating. Is this mold? I went ahead and skimmed it and put it in pint jars. ended up with 9 pints. just not sure if its any good?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't know about the mold, honey shouldn't mold should it? I am always concerned about how many times they've been sprayed with insecticide, especially if in residential setting. Seems like most all the ones I've taken out of houses have been sprayed at one point. I've taken the honey from tree cutouts I know haven't been sprayed but thats it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe they had been sprayed. it was an old abandoned house. the owner is a retired beek and wanted the bees saved before he had the house burned.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Last time I did a crush and strain there were white spots on the top too. these were the points where the last drops dripped over and over from the mesh bag above. they were kindof like bubbles gathered together to make a patty. Pretty sure there is nothing wrong with it. just an issue of settling.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey K, what you saw is perfectly normal. That the air bubbles settling on the top, it even happens when you spin it through my extractor. What i do is quart jar everything and let it sit for a few days, then either re-quart it and or break it down into pint, half pints etc. When it sits, those bubbles wil stay at the top of the jar like ring around the collar and when you pour it into the new jars, it is clear as a bell. Anything that i have left with the bubbles in it in the smaller amounts i keep and either eat with it, cook with it etc....its still honey, just have really tiny bubbles in it.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
We rejar after this settles at the top. We have NOT rejar'd this one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts