Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a cut out last Thursday, brought it home Saturday. 7 medium frames of brood were tied into the cutout. I did a short peak yesterday, some nectar is peppered throughout the hive, and a little wax work has been done. Some larvae, lots of capped brood. Not much open space. I put a homemade top feeder that holds 4 mason jars on top, but only placed two full jars of HBH/syrup until we see what they suck down.

I feel like I should go ahead and give them another box, but wonder if I ought to wait for some of the brood to hatch out?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left the box next to the tree limb we cut out of for two days. Went back twice to observe. Only place we saw bees coming/going was from the box. Never got a visual- still working on that part of the operation.

Went through an inspection Sunday, and did not see any open cells where eggs might be. Did see small 'c' shaped larvae, various sizes, and capped brood, some brood hatching. Also nectar in a shotgun pattern- so did I get the queen- I didn't see her. Attitude of the hive was ok. Might have used too much smoke and sent her running...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would not give them any more space till you determine the queen is there and laying, do you have the entrance reduced?
Bob

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 3/4 reduced. I was going to go smaller, but I haven't seen any robbing activity.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a visual on a queen last inspection (Thursday) tried to box her and drop a bit of paint on the thorax. She wiggled, and looked like she got paint on her head. I let her go into the hive, with my lovely helper screaming I've killed her (aka my wife).

I am figuring the bees will clean the wet paint off the queen, and it is still an unmarked queen?

The attempt was made with Testor model paint.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Just remember one other thing, i read a thread one time when a person marked their queen they set the queen back in right away, then she was jumped by the other bees and was killed...When i read that it told me if i ever mark a queen i will give it time to dry and make sure she is still excepted and recognized...:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too true...I wasn't sure which would be worse...letting pain dry on her head, or the odor of the paint getting her jumped. I may go back in this weekend and see if she's been spared...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might have to rename that box 'smurf'

She's in their and good to go. A bit too much paint perhaps...;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts