Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just read about this management approach on another thread here in BeeSource, and have looked on line and found very little about this technique--a page on Michael Bush's website and another page on Honey Bee Suite--but it seems as though there's considerable experience with this technique among BeeSource beeks, but I wasn't able to find any threads that were devoted to this management technique.

Can some of you with experience with this technique provide more information? I'm particularly interested in knowing at what time this technique should be used...I know that it's supposed to be 2 weeks before the main flow, from a comment Michael Bush made somewhere. For southern New England, when should a cut down split be used to maximize honey production (using Ross Rounds) for our spring flow? Now, just as forsythia and Bradford pears are blooming?

Knisely

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Sounds like you know what to do - you should contact other beekeepers in your area and ask them when your main flow starts. No one else will really be able to tell.

I've been doing cut down splits for a couple of days.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
> I'm particularly interested in knowing at what time this technique should be used...I know that it's supposed to be 2 weeks before the main flow, from a comment Michael Bush made somewhere. For southern New England, when should a cut down split be used to maximize honey production (using Ross Rounds) for our spring flow? Now, just as forsythia and Bradford pears are blooming?

I don't think those are you main flow, but I don't live there. Our main flow in the country is the middle of June. In the city it's two weeks earlier than that, which is about the 1st of June. Our first blooms are the fruit trees but those are in mid April and two months before the MAIN flow. Worst case, your first year, you could do it right AT the main flow. It won't be optimum, but it won't be too far off either.

If you'd like a book on it, there is a lot more details here:
http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Comb-Ca...1019/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397850534&sr=8-1

When I get time (gone this weekend) I'll try to do some quotes from the book.

More comb honey links:
http://threeriversbeekeepers.com/documents/CutCombPresentation11-12.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts