Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - My hives are doing very well but this rainy spring weather is giving them cabin fever and has led to lots of swarm cells (JUST capped still seeing eggs in comb). I'm running 8 frame mediums and most of my hives are in 5 or 6 brood boxes (SO MANY FRAMES!)

I'm trying to remove the queen from the original hive to let the hive go queenless/broodless leaving a queen cell or two but I'm struggling to find the queen amongst all the drones! Was thinking about shaking them through a queen excluder, but given the number of drones I think even that'll be hard and I know it's hard on the bees. Anyone have any advice?! Queens are unmarked. Got lucky and found her in two colonies but struggling with the last couple. I'd hate to just let them swarm with her. I suppose I might just have to try again tomorrow.

THANKS!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I shook four deeps through an excluder this spring to find a queen that was shrunk down and ready to fly. It's effective and I think harder on our minds than on the bees.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michael,

Thanks, I was under the impression that you did a cut down split before the flow. Where I am the dandelions are in full bloom along with fruit trees. The flow here is mostly over at the end of June. I shook a hive today and found the queen and put her in a nuc with a couple frames of brood while adding some empty frames to the brood nest leaving two capped queen cells behind. I'll add that I'm going to be away for 10 days starting a week from today so thought getting the splits done early was better than late!

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Thanks, I was under the impression that you did a cut down split before the flow.

Two weeks before the flow. Right now I would guess you are a month early. As far as finding the queen, if I don't find her, I just don't worry about where she is. I would LIKE to find her, but it's not worth doing more than going completely through the hive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts