Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...So I get a call from a customer who bought honey from me for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I had to assure her that my honey is 100% natural, which it is. It goes from the bees, to the extractor, and to the bottles...period. So anyways, I get a call that she is having a "reaction" to my honey. She says it's the same reaction she has if she uses Splenda or other artificial sweeteners, and wanted to know if I add sweeteners. Trying not to be totally offended, I explain...The bees make the honey, I extract, and bottle....period. She then explains she can eat the supermarket honey with no problem, to which I explain 70% of the stuff in the supermarket has never even seen a bee, and what has, has been so heavily filtered there is little natural pollen, etc. She then says that I mentioned that this honey was made during the mango and avocado bloom time, and she is allergic to only the skin of the mango. (She can eat mango, but somebody else has to peel it....) So she's thinking because of the mango nectar, that may be causing her problem. I explain that the bees do not revisit the mango trees once the bloom is over, so I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Help a girl out...anybody heard of such a thing? :scratch: Her symptoms after using the honey in her tea is the need to urinate frequently and urgently!

(Edited to add...we do not live on, or near enough to any mango farm to make it a significant part of the honey. Just some incidental trees in peoples yards, etc...I sell my honey as "wildflower" only. My regulars like to know what was in bloom during the making of the honey so they can try to pick out the different flavors.)

What say you? Ever heard of this? All input appreciated....Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Her symptoms after using the honey in her tea is the need to urinate frequently and urgently!
How much tea is she drinking ?!:lookout:

I wonder what would happen if you asked her to pasteurize the honey? Bring it up to 80C (that's the maximum temperature before bad stuff happens right?) for 15 minutes and let it cool. That ought to denature most proteins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
I would ask her to return what is left and refund her money. ...prolly forget the return. She sounds nuts. As far as I know no diuretic in honey. Infection, diabetes, cushings, renal disease, neoplasia are things she be thinking about...not your honey. Some herbal teas are diuretic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
I would not sale her any more honey.
And forget her after 38 years in the restaurant business one thing I know some customers just got to find some thing wrong and are never happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
776 Posts
I have an almond grower that swears he's allergic to honey. I forget his symptoms.

I agree with you about some people aren't ever happy. At least that's what they say so they'll get a deal most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Reminds me of my grandmother who is 'terribly allergic' to chocolate. And yet, she likes hot cocoa and white chocolate. When I point out that each product contains chocolate (cocoa butter in the white chocolate) and thus allergens, she goes "nono, I'm allergic to chocolate". She thinks milk or dark causes her to have a 'reaction', and doesn't think of products that aren't brown or contain actual bits of chocolate (hot cocoa is a powder that apparently doesn't count) is actual chocolate.

To make a long story short... your honey customer sounds nuts, just like my grandmother!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
I add Splenda to make my honey a diet honey...what a nut case! I wouldn't respond ever again to such stupidity! She would cease to exist in my mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,183 Posts
Maybe she IS allergic to your honey - probably not, but it's impossible for you or her to know. Maybe if an allergist used a sample to perform a test?....

It doesn't make a bit of difference though. To me life is too short to argue with someone about such things over a jar of honey. I would refund her and wish her good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL! You are ALL on the same page as I, and I appreciate all the feedback!!! I thought through the same thoughts...maybe she's drinking more tea because it's so much better with the honey...UTI...etc...I just needed more input to make sure I was not being too sensitive. (Splenda in MY HONEY!?? OMG!!!) There was no argument or anything...she appreciated me speaking with her, and I even told her I was going to post on the forum to see if anyone had heard of "such reactions" to honey. I will offer your feedback (edited of course to leave out the NUTS part...LOL).... I am going to contact her tomorrow, and offer her a full refund. She can keep/dispose of/whatever....of my awesome honey. I'd rather keep her happy and keep any negative word of mouth to a minimum. I can't wait to get out of the Miami area....they are a unique breed indeed!!! We got as far away from it as we could, with the husband still able to make the commute. Thanks again everyone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
I would tell her that she is probably one of those very very rare individuals who should never eat honey. Offer her her money back. Then you can never see her again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you asked her to pasteurize the honey? Bring it up to 80C (that's the maximum temperature before bad stuff happens right?) for 15 minutes and let it cool. That ought to denature most proteins.
I second this suggestion, just out of curiosity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,542 Posts
I would not reply to her phone calls or offer anything and see what happens. Being allergic to honey is quite rare I believe. So, having a reaction caused by honey would be even more rare it seems to me. And her having to pee after drinking tea? Well, isn't that quite normal? Tea being a diuretic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I second this suggestion, just out of curiosity.
I appreciate the input, from you and cnt....however, I am afraid to open myself up to any more "liability" so to speak. Next thing you know, she heats it up, sets her kitchen on fire, burns her tongue, her hair starts falling out, and she gets a split nail....all because I suggested she heat the honey.... :pinch:

jrbbees...I am with you, too, and going to likely take that route.

I am going to suggest she come by and get her money back, and consider myself done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Maybe she IS allergic to your honey - probably not, but it's impossible for you or her to know. Maybe if an allergist used a sample to perform a test?....

It doesn't make a bit of difference though. To me life is too short to argue with someone about such things over a jar of honey. I would refund her and wish her good luck.
I agree. Refund her money admit no liability . Personally, it sounds like diabetes. Sugar( honey) causes thirst. Urination. And dry mouth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sqk...She purchased directly from me. Her sister wanted her to try "real" honey to try to help some of her "health issues". I am a true Cottage Food set up...not commercial. In FL, I can not even put a few jars in a fruit stand or whatever and still comply with the Law. I can sell at farmers markets, etc, but it must be sold by me. I don't mess with that.

I am going to offer a refund, even though she did not ask.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top