Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a hive inspection, wanted to see if they where drawing out the honey super.. they are not. i also noticed there wasnt a lot of bees flying around like normal. i did a check and they have a good population capped brood. i felt they where low on pollen but i cant fix that right now, i did give them some sugar water and i called my friend to confirm it is a dearth and he said yep. no rain in the forecast for at least the next week, suppose to be a heat wave this weekend ( i live in Florida it is a heat wave 13 months out of the year), low pollen counts.

PS. should i think about getting pollen paddies?

·
Registered
495 Posts
depends on the state of your hive and what you want it to do.

Let's start with few foragers - I am wondering if your hive has swarmed. For awhile, there will b fewer foragers. If it has swarmed, there's no queen clamoring for space to lay eggs, and they will slow down drawing comb. Be careful that you actually get a mated queen back - we have a 75% chance we will in my area, but sometimes she doesn't make it back. You should plot out when you expect to see eggs/young larvae, based on your best guess of when she swarmed, if they swarmed. If you see capped queen cells, then pinch one to date things - a juicy white larvae is pretty young, and so they swarmed very recently. Again, if they swarmed. Say you look and see a capped queen cell with white larvae - it's maybe 6 days only. She will emerge in 2d, mate at 6d if it's not rainy/windy, lay at 12d if your forecast during "flight weather" for the mating flight was good. So mark your calendar, and look for queen sources in the meantime. If the virgin doesn't make it back, in 2 weeks your hive will not be able to accept a new queen because they will have gone laying worker. So take care with that. Again, if they swarmed.

I live where we have real winter, and we do everything we can to get the bees starting in a box with no drawn comb to have all 20 frames drawn by Sept. I don't want the bees to use precious nectar for that - I feed copiously with sugar syrup until they have 8 frames/10 drawn, then add the next deep. Actually I don't run deeps but if I did, that is the procedure. You have more options - see if you can find someone who is getting honey to provide some advice on what you can do. We are stuck recommending double deeps and that usually means no honey the first year.

If your bees are in a pollen dearth, you should feed pollen. Why? because you need the queen to keep laying waxworkers. :0 Hope this gives you some options/a pathway to your destination with your bees!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they didn't swarm i am 98% sure of that. the population seems to big for that. i am confident they are in a pollen dearth and likely a nectar one as well. i saw very few pollen cells truth be told i can not say for certain the cell i think were pollen where actually pollen, they looked like pollen but somewhat moist. i am going to just do what my gut is telling me that they need pollen. it there a difference between pollen paddies or bagged pollen?

·
Registered
623 Posts
In your area of Florida if you put pollen patties on you’ll most likely get a fine crop of hive beetles. I’d try dry pollen substitute in a feeder near the hives. I don’t know your location (city, country, subdivision) but an hour and a half north our bees are rolling pretty good. On the farm in the south part of the county not so good, but in town and up in the woods around the lake they’re doing well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I was warned of putting a whole patty. I was told put a 1x3in strip on them and see what happens.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just put on some sugar water, still no rain. I noticed a cool thing if you go out and bring your cellphone camera and look at the bees it slows the wing beats down. I took a picture of them fanning when I noticed thru the phone you can see the wing beats.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got some rain last night and got more rain this morning. Noticed the bees are on to something, took them 4 days to finish a quart jar. I also noticed the lilac tree in my backyard is blooming and I saw three other lilac trees driving this morning were blooming.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts