Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious, how many here on Beesource are using the Mighty Mite Killer & your results?

I am in my second year of treating the vast majority of my hives with the Mighty Mite Killer and so far have been able to double my numbers of hives via splits and have significantly reduced the number and issues with small hive beetles. They are not 100% gone but the best and most effective means of mitigating them in my experience. Brood patterns look much better than before treatment with the MMK with much less shotgun pattern, in many hives, almost none. My winter survival rates seem to be improved with 5 out of 65 hives surviving and 1 hive that went queenless that got recombined.

In my nucleus colony yard, the results were somewhat different as I did not receive the 5 frame Mighty Mite Killers until shortly before I had to leave for the TBA Conference. 15 of my 47 nucs got treated with the MMK and they all survived and are doing well. The remainder of the were treated with Apivar and about half of those did not survive through early Spring. Makes me wonder if the mites are building resistance to Apivar? 5 eight and 10 frame hives I had in the nuc yard got treated with MAQS and they all survived. The MAQS are very effective but very harsh on the hives. I doubt I would use it again except in an emergency.

I believe there are some other Mighty Mite Killer users here on Beesource and I would be very interested to hear about your experiences and results with the MMK. Thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Re: Curious, how many here on Beesource are using the Mighty Mite Killer & your resul

My winter survival rates seem to be improved with 5 out of 65 hives surviving and 1 hive that went queenless that got recombined.
Not a very good sales point. 5 of 65 surviving.

Alex

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Re: Curious, how many here on Beesource are using the Mighty Mite Killer & your resul

Something about this statement baffles me; "5 eight and 10 frame hives I had in the nuc yard got treated with MAQS and they all survived. The MAQS are very effective but very harsh on the hives. I doubt I would use it again except in an emergency."

·
Registered
3,086 Posts

No offense but I think doing nothing would be as good or probably better than 5 of 65 hives surviving. I am thinking you must mean that you lost 5 of 65? If all hives treated with MAQS survived, how was it a "harsh" treatment? Did you have queen loss? If your post was correct, the harsh treatment was the Mighty Mite Killer which managed to kill most of your hives. Nothing harsher than killing a colony. J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts