Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just a curious thing. The bees are milling about on the front of the hive - walking around on "the porch". This is a new behavior, as in the past they simply took off into the air, and didn't linger. Thoughts?

Thanks.

DG

·
Registered
335 Posts
My guess is washboarding. I've watched mine change from lining up and moving in unison to individuals doing their own thing. I noticed something curious the other day. The flow appears to me to be over and the girls are getting protective. I watched the guard bees repell what can only be described as robbers (about one every 10-15min). The robbers would dart back and forth much like orientation flight except a little farther from the landing board and on a mission. As soon as they approached the landing board (seemed to aim for the side of the entrance) the guard bees would rise up in unison and repel them. One guard bee takes her job so serious that she will not let ANY bee in her little 2 square inch of landing board. No bee takes off, lands or walks through her domain...kind of humorous and entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stewaw,

Interesting. I have noticed a few combative moments on the ground in front of the hive. Initially, it had the look of tending to dead bees, but then I realized they're both alive and well...for the time being. Perhaps that's guard bees in action.

DG

·
Registered
132 Posts
at the moment, i have also a lot of bees in the grass below on of the hives.... the bees are just trying to move away the grass!

It has been happening only very recently (since i started fogging them, and since the weather has become a lot warmer).

There are also a lot of guard bees at then entrance of this hive...

I don't think this is abnormal, I guess!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts