Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to “crush” harvested honeycomb (ie crush and strain) in a cuisinart/mixer? I’m tempted to try but scared to find out the hard way that it is a really bad idea.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Never went down that particular rabbit hole, but have a feeling that "bad idea" is an apt description.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping someone would say "I do it all the time- works like a dream!" but I knew better. What can I say- lazy and hopeful.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
You would have to do it very carefully �� I think even a pulse would be too much. Couldn’t do it warm because the wax is too sticky, so it would have to be cooler and harder wax.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Kate, I did a squeeze and strain last year on a deep of crosscombed foundationless frames. Grab a bucket and a strainer and just squeeze the snot out of a handful of comb. Goes pretty quick, especially if you are not outdoors and having to flick the bees off the comb before you squeeze it. The water from the first boil of the wax can be fed back to the bees

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have made Hollandaise Sauce in a blender. The friction from the blades heats the eggs just enough. What it would do to the wax, I don't know.

Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts