Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I did our first real hive inspection on our two hives today and noticed that one of them (wood frames but plastic body and bottom board) had little "crystals" on the bottom board. The "crystals" were about the size and shape of rock salt. What is this?

·
Registered
510 Posts
what you are seeing are the wax cell that were droped by the bees while drawing out the frames.Good sign.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
King bee,
Thanks so much for the response. I was thinking that it might be wax but it also looked the size of small bugs or bug eggs... but it wasn't round and I don't know of bugs that lay semi square eggs! YEAH!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm in the seattle area as well and during my 4 week inspection on friday I noticed the same thing. So this answers the question I was about to ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had the same thing, have seen some on the outside landing board....I thought of being chalk brood. [dried up larvae]
Is this a possibility??
Konrad

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks for the link!
I'm not sure now, still think mine where chalk, because they where not flakes, more like round and on the white side?
I have seen chalk brood by another bee keeper, some weeks ago and his where much larger then mine, perhaps about 3 times.
Konrad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts