Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen different methods of "fixing" crystallized honey. I see some people say to put it in hot water (but, not boiling) for a while. I've heard others say leave it on a sunny window sill. I was talking to a friend that does organic farming and is involved heavily with "living foods. He uses a dehydrator for alot of the things he sells at market and also uses it for honey when it crystallizes. He mentioned not to go above 105 degrees or it can damage the enzymes in the honey. I ended up getting one that has a control dial for the temp and was able to put 14 pound jars in at 100 degrees for 3-4 hours. I checked the temp with a digital thermometer a few times and found the dial was pretty accurate. It worked like a charm. No mess, no wet jars, easy peasy.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I have not had to deal with crystalization yet. Tulip poplar honey from two years ago is still liquid, but I do need to dehydrate honey sometimes. I have a small refrigerator turned incubator with a digitally controlled heater and fan. Turn up the heat to 100° and set the jars in open top with a cloth cover. I imagine it would decrystalize the honey too.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
One suggestion is not to put labels on or go beyond snug with your lids until just before point of sale. That way if you do need to any manipulations with the jars you can do so without risk of messing up your labels or lids.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One suggestion is not to put labels on or go beyond snug with your lids until just before point of sale. That way if you do need to any manipulations with the jars you can do so without risk of messing up your labels or lids.
Very good point to remember!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not had to deal with crystalization yet. Tulip poplar honey from two years ago is still liquid, but I do need to dehydrate honey sometimes. I have a small refrigerator turned incubator with a digitally controlled heater and fan. Turn up the heat to 100° and set the jars in open top with a cloth cover. I imagine it would decrystalize the honey too.
Nice setup!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I have two set ups. One is a simple continue heating pad in styrofoam box. I u with jars. 5 gallon buckets a cabinet with light bulb and a thermostat controller. I can and have done them in my clarifier with water filling it. When done for the season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts