Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got asked a question I couldn't answer today. Why are some honeys, like goldenrod for example, more prone to crystallization than others. Is the water content naturally lower? Any better answers than I gave would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
No, it is the ratio between the different sugar types: glucose, fructose and saccharose. It is only glucose that hardens. The more glucose the faster the honey crystallizes and the harder it can get.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
No, it is the ratio between the different sugar types: glucose, fructose and saccharose. It is only glucose that hardens. The more glucose the faster the honey crystallizes and the harder it can get.
Yes a good reason to harvest after the mainflow or individual flows. Or sort combs. Mixing in the fall flow will almost always cause your entire harvest to crystallize. Or atleast around these parts. The honey I harvested in May-June has not crystallized after 2 years.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm still learning about what local plants produce what kind of honey in my area. My early June harvest is Very light and golden looking and will crystalize within a month or two, but my main harvest in mid July is Very dark and has never crystalized. Both types smell great and taste great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts