Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only got a couple cases of half pounders left and a few pound jars, from last years crop, but some of the half pounders are starting to crystalize. Pound jars seem OK for now. They are in plastic jars. What to do? Was hoping to unload these at first farmers market in June. Do I pour out the honey, heat and then bottle or can it be done some other way? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mike.

·
Banned
840 Posts
There is a family that has opened a "honey store" in my area. If you go in there, you will see shelves stocked with jars of honey in various sizes.

you will also see that some of the jars have begun or are at least half crystallized.

On the jars is a sticker that details how to liquefy the honey easily.

Perhaps you could do similar.

Big Bear

·
Registered
323 Posts
I put a deep empty box on the floor with a metal excluder on top of it, then hang a trouble light with a 60 or 75 watt bulb in it from the bottom of the excluder, set your honey bottles on the excluder, place another box on top and put a cover on,plug the light in and walk away for a day or two. Soon you will have liquid honey with out excessive heat and no fear of melting plastic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i advice you to take the jar and put it into the hot water also you can heat it up to 40c. if you hit it up to 60-70c honey will loose enzymes and never crystalizes

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have put them in a put of water on the stove bring the water to a boil then set them off the burner to cool. Leave them in the water the honey will be good as new.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've used water and light bulb methods and both work well. You are right about water messing up any label that has been applied so in that case light bulb is definitely the best choice. Any ideas on what to do though if you have comb in the jar of crystalized honey?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you are in a rush bring some water to a boil shut off the heat put the plastic bottles in a one gallon zip lock bag and submerge, the bag will protect the labels. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
"They are in plastic jars."

This can sometimes be a problem. It's my understanding that the clear Pete Plastic can only withstand about 110 degrees F.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yea, your talking 212 degrees, besides he has a couple cases. Use the hive bodys, excluder and light and do them all at once without damage to the honey, bottle or label. Try it you'll like it, they will come out warm not hot.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I know it wasn`t the original question but personally, I refuse put my honey in plastic. I only use glass jars. It's more expensive but I don`t care. I pass the expense on to the buyer. I try not to buy anything in plastic. (That`s not always easy these days! :( )Plastic leaches out all kinds of nasties... especially when heated. I know this doesn`t help you now with your immediate problem, but for later consideration maybe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts