Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All year i have been bottling from a 15 gallon bottler that i heat to about 105 when bottling. I will get one or two bottles that will crystalize out of a case very quickly. I let the honey sit heated for a few days so anything will float up. We all know there is nothing wrong with it but it is such a pain to take it off the shelf and heat again.
These jars were the first run and you can see one is completley turned and none of the others show any sign. There is junk in these which is wax that made a ring in the tank so i have to restrain them. Now i empty the tank and clean on every run. Any ideas? Been seeing this in every case this year. These have been in heated house the whole time.

Liquid Tableware Drinkware Oil Solution

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There may have been seed crystals in the short section by the valve that was not as warm.

Crazy Roland
Possible. Would explain why only one out of a case did it. I had it pretty warm for a few days. Do people purge a little as a practice when using bottling tanks?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have noticed that when liquifying crystalized honey(I also heat to about 105°),there is always a small amount that remains crystalized and settles to the bottom.For this reason,I try not to bottle in advance as that small layer of crystals detracts from the appearance and rarely can be "heated out").
On to your problem.Is the crystalized jar the first one poured?
I suspect that when you heat the honey,any crystals settle to the bottom and if your outlet is low on the bucket, they will flow into the first jar and act as seed.
Or, as Roland suggests,if you have a Maxant NoDrip valve,there may be a "slug" of crystals in there.I believe there is another recent thread cocerning a crystalized valve.

As for the "floaters", don't worry about it.Just pay attention to the level of the honey and don't let it get below the top of the outlet.Near the end you can prop the bottler on a 2x4 overnight so that the honey settles at an angle over the outlet.Use that last bit that remains for personal use or family give aways. It's just air bubbles and minute bits of wax if the honey has been strained previosly.
I did not mark the jars so no idea if its the first one or two. I will have to do that. I have noticed also though that when i mix flavored honey and dispense out of a normal bucket and gate valve, I have had one or two turn quick as well and the rest are still fine.
Regarding the floater advice. I have been doing that and even let the buckets sit for days to allow anything to float to the top. And these jars show the waste. I had wax that was on the sides mix in again and it literally looks like pieces of plastic so i'll have to strain these and toss the jars. The rest of what you describe is what i do. I'm going to make some changes to my bottler to allow easier cleaning so i dont have this happen again. I'll just run out the remainder not bottled and clean it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts