Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone,

I was wondering if you could share your techniques for crush and strain. I just harvested a couple of combs and mashed it up in a strainer, but I am puzzled how the honey is going to separate from all that mush!

Regards,
Thomas

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Thomas, put on a pair of rubber gloves and start squeezing clumps of comb and honey over a strainer. Goes much quicker than waiting three days for the honey to drip out in its own. Then render the wax in hot boiling water and feed the honey water left over back to the bees. No waste.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bought a little fruit press for getting juice out of grapes, apples and pears. I haven't used it for honey, yet, but I hear that it works a treat.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Hey, everyone,

I was wondering if you could share your techniques for crush and strain. I just harvested a couple of combs and mashed it up in a strainer, but I am puzzled how the honey is going to separate from all that mush!

Regards,
Thomas
For just a couple of combs no need to be sophisticated.
https://www.beesource.com/forums/sh...ay-to-keep-(have-)-bees&p=1775277#post1775277

Now, I would not have done this - "mashed it up in a strainer".
Realize, you just plugged up all the strainer holes down there with your mashing activity - your honey will just sit in the strainer as it has nowhere to go (most holes have been firmly shut with compacted wax).

You need to take a knife (or try immersion blender IF the combs are light) and pulverize the comb to pieces - then let it all drain - the honey WILL drain.
NO pressing or compacting - that will plug up the strainer and you will indeed be waiting for a very, very long time.
Ask me how I know.
:)

PS: now it is spring and I cover the draining setup with a glass lid and set into a sunny window - the sun warms up the contents nicely and speeds up the drainage.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I wonder if you could cut the comb out of the frame, lay it on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and take a rolling pin to it.

Alex

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
I wonder if you could cut the comb out of the frame, lay it on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and take a rolling pin to it.

Alex
It'll be some mess to handle.
I don't want to even try this.
:)

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
for just one comb better to put it in a 1 gal ziplock bag mush it up, hang and let stand for a day so the wax floats to the top and then cut a very small hole in one corner for it to drain

Attachments

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Maybe, one of those paint trays used for loading rollers with paint. :kn:

Alex

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
for just one comb better to put it in a 1 gal ziplock bag mush it up, hang and let stand for a day so the wax floats to the top and then cut a very small hole in one corner for it to drain
:thumbsup:

Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts