Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages and disadvantages of crossing NWC lines to Italian lines?
I would mostly say I have Italian bees but thinking running NWC along side them.
Before I go do this what are your all thoughts?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you're going to breed from your NWC stock, you'll probably cross with Italians during the first mating whether you want to or not. In my area and probably yours, the dominant source of drones is Italian. Even though Carniolians and Italians are both gentle bees, the product of that first cross may have a certain percentage of mean bees from what I've experienced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have also found that NWC crossed to Italian drones can give some meaner bees in that f1 gen. But the reciprocal cross (Italian mother x NWC drones) seem to not have demeanor issues.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello i agree with the others i have Minn. Hygenics x carni's and some can be very mean but then i have some that are so gentle. And produce a good crop of honey now if you do not mne a little mean in them hey do have some advantages they both buil up sort of fast and can produce good honey and in the winter they tend to cluster in a smaller ball but good bees the second crop of bees seem to be more gentle.

THOMAS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts