Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my neighbor sprayed crossbow for blackberries control while I was working on my beehives. Later on both me and my wife had headache. I visited with him and asked what he was spraying and he got a headache too.
My question is how and if the bees and the honey will be affected, including the brood.
Thank you,

·
Registered
53 Posts
>sprayed crossbow for blackberry control.

lol, has your neighbor tried a mower instead for control? it works really well around here where you cant walk 2 feet without hitting a wild thorned blackberry.

·
Registered
306 Posts
https://www.domyown.com/msds/Crossbow_Label2w.pdf

Here’s the label. Usually if the herbicide is known to result in problems for pollinators, it will say so on the label. I skimmed and didn’t see it. Also, there’s no skull and crossbones on the label, so that’s a good thing as far as problems for humans not wearing respirators. The neighbor may have mixed it a little hot and it drifted to you.

2,4-D, glyphosate, MSMA and other herbicides are sprayed on hayfields all over this area during the flows. Not saying it’s good for the bees, but I’ve not seen that it affects them in my hives. I am sure there are places within range of your hives that have herbicides being applied right now. It’s hard to get away from it.

I keep a hive or two on a research farm to assist with their seed plot pollination. They spray quite a few different chemicals on their plots, but will avoid those that are labeled as detrimental to pollinators.

I’m guessing the blackberries were in bloom. If so, do you know if bees were foraging on them?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts