Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I install prewired foundation in frames, do I still need to cross wire the frames? Also, if people do cross wire, do they generally use an electric wire embedder or do people prefer a different method? Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer to use cross wireing with prewired foundation in my deeps for my brood chambers. I feel it gives extra longevity to the combs. I dont use prewired foundation in my honey supers but will cross wire them to lend that strength when extracting. Instead of a a electric embeder I use a spur wheel imbeder and do it by hand. Just take a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and cut it to the interior dimensions of the frame and place it below the foudnation you need to imbed the wire into with the spur wheel so you have some support to get it imbedded good.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
974 Posts
Only way I know of to get the wires embedded is an electric embedder (store bought or home mede) or a star wheel.

For brood frames it will help hold the comb in place and keep it from sagging, especially when doing inspections on heavy frames of newer comb.
For honey extracting frames it will keep the comb in the frame, especially if you over speed the extractor in the begining. The heavy weight of the honey will rip the comb out of the frame.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I cross wire all my deep brood frames, and also use the pre-wired foundaton. I use the electric embedder, but added additional metal strips to push the wire against the wax. It makes for a much more solid sheet of foundation, and gives better brood comb.

However, the little darlings will also turn some beautiful foundation into drone comb... I'm going foundationless now, which is a whole other topic!
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I cross wire all deeps even with the crimpwired foundation. We use electric embedders, my dad made one of our embedders the other is from dadant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
what if you dont embed the cross wire? instead weave the wire crossing over from one side of the foundation to the other, would the bees build comb over the wire. if they did it would still offer support. Just wondering

Pablo

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had wires not get imbedded properly and the bees dont always build around it. Had some frames this happened once to and had a nive valley down the spots where the wire was supposed to be. If you cross wire always inbed it in is my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts