Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of frames that were too far apart and the overzealous girls decided it would be good to draw comb between them.
not extreme like some people have, but I had to cut a bit of comb to get them separated. Caused lots of dripping honey and was messy. I cut it back to even with the rest of the comb, but I bet they may just build it back again. I think I even separated the frames from each other, so I hope they didn't just cross comb over to other frames. This was last fall before closing them up for the winter, so we'll be seeing pretty soon.

Question for this condition, is it better to scrape the wax off (just the cross comb area) down to the foundation to give it a fresh start, or is it good just to level it off back to the level of the rest of the drawn combs?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would have cut it back even with the end pieces and there is some space between the comb....then pushed the frames together so the end pieces touch. If you give them too much space it is hard to tell what they might do.

Some folks like to use maybe 9 frames in a 10 frame honey super, spacing the frames out evenly so they build thick/deep comb. I have tried it before but was unhappy with the outcome.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Bridge comb in my experience starts on the foundation and is built to go across from there. I take my hive tool and scrape it all off and hope they rebuild better. It is so important to have all your frames being drawn pushed tight together. When I was drawing small cell, I found that shaving the frames so 11 fit in a box resulted in the best outcome. After combs are drawn you can choose whatever spacing you like.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts