Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I am a brand new Beekeeper in training this year. I got a NUC 24 days ago and I think my bees are super over achievers, as today when I opened to inspect I found a lovely mess of cross comb built on the bottoms of the wired frames. I thought I was prepared and ready to deal with cross comb only this is/was full of honey. I smoked, brushed, blew on, sweet talked,tried to shake off and begged the bees to cooperate but in the end I am left with a bunch of honey filled mushed up mess with bees stuck to, drowning in, or hanging out on and gorging on the honey. Will the bees that are not stuck eventually return to the hive, and if so how close do they need to be to it?

IMG_20190603_132926.jpg IMG_20190603_140838.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,451 Posts
welcome to beesource dawn! your posts are now approved and i took the liberty of moving your thread to the 101 subforum. lots of good folks willing to lend a helping hand here.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Welcome dawnjanell ! Yes, that is an overachieving bunch of bees. Please tell us your hive configuration and its status. Have you added a second deep? Is it a standard deep on a standard bottom board? Hard to tell from pic, but that is a lot of burr comb with honey in a short time. But, you did what I would do. Clean it up, set it out and let them make use of the honey. Just be aware that that can cause robbing if you are not on a flow. If that is a concern, I would strain the honey out of the combs inside the house/garage. J

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,313 Posts
I could not tell from the pictures but is the second box, not shown, a deep with medium frames in it? I see extra frames on the hanger and 10 in the bottom deep. Plus the comb on top of the bottom frames looks too tall to have fit if the upper box had the right sized frames. Just guessing mind you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My setup has a screened bottom, a slatted rack (Google told me I needed it), a 10 frame deep that has a mix of wired frames, plastic, and drawn frames from the 5 frame NUC. On 04/19 they had drawn comb in all but 2 of the frames so I added a second 10 frame deep with alternating wired and plastic frames. On 04/26 they had not moved up into the second brood box yet, but the two frames where drawn with eggs. Today they have one plastic frame drawn (uh correctly?) <- feels wrong to imply my genius girls did anything incorrectly, and the rest of their time went to building comb on the bottoms of each wired frame and filling it with beautiful honey.

I would like acknowledge one of my first known mistakes is I mix and matched boxes from different manufacturers. I was gifted 2 knock off easy flows which I spent the winter modifying and adding to.

So today after scraping all the girls work away I swapped out the second box for one that hopefully leaves less room between, and replaced the wooden wired frames so they are all identical plastic frames.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
I dont know about the others, but I still have not figured out if all that comb was at the bottoms of the frames in the bottom box between the bottom of the frame and the slatted rack, or if it was between the bottoms of the top frames and the tops of the bottom frames. The picture shows one thing but to me, your words are maybe saying another. The depth of the top box may be the problem if the latter case is true. A deep box should be 9-5/8 " from bottom to top. There should only be about 3/8" between the bottoms of one set of frames and the tops of the other. Same is true for the slatted rack, 3/8".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I am feeling pretty bad about not checking the fit before investing my time and then my girls time into this stupid box. I am so glad I went with my gut to swap them out but now am second guessing taking away the wired frames which they seem to favor. IMG_20190603_192303.jpg IMG_20190603_191927.jpg IMG_20190603_191731.jpg

Sorry not sure why my photos keep turning sideways but if you tip your head 90 degrees to the left that is my setup and then the box I swapped out this afternoon with a deep plastic frame in it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know about the others, but I still have not figured out if all that comb was at the bottoms of the frames in the bottom box between the bottom of the frame and the slatted rack, or if it was between the bottoms of the top frames and the tops of the bottom frames. The picture shows one thing but to me, your words are maybe saying another. The depth of the top box may be the problem if the latter case is true. A deep box should be 9-5/8 " from bottom to top. There should only be about 3/8" between the bottoms of one set of frames and the tops of the other. Same is true for the slatted rack, 3/8".
It was all in between the two boxes, and I had a gut feeling it was the fault of the box so I switched it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome dawnjanell ! Yes, that is an overachieving bunch of bees. Please tell us your hive configuration and its status. Have you added a second deep? Is it a standard deep on a standard bottom board? Hard to tell from pic, but that is a lot of burr comb with honey in a short time. But, you did what I would do. Clean it up, set it out and let them make use of the honey. Just be aware that that can cause robbing if you are not on a flow. If that is a concern, I would strain the honey out of the combs inside the house/garage. J
Thank you so much for your quick replies. I have the comb on my deck to prevent robbery from the chickens that are in the same yard and there are still bees on it (that do not appear stuck to it). Today I feel more a bee killer then keeper.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Trust me, you will kill a lot more. Please do not feel bad about that. It is part of becoming a beekeeper. We do not see it but bees die by the hundreds every day per hive. They literally work themselves to death. Accidentally killing a dozen or two has zero impact. Unless one of them is the queen. Bees do get testy when you start squishing them so do try to avoid it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a tiny bit of cross comb again today, but nothing like what we had before. Just a few patches on the bottoms of 3 frames and between 2 frame ( maybe didn't have them shoved close enough together?) .

Otherwise very excited with what we found, 3 frames full, and 6 others started. Super bonus is our Queen was less shy then normal and let us ogle/take pics. Isn't she the most beautiful ever? MVIMG_20190609_154024_1560122155890.jpg MVIMG_20190609_154014_1560122381899.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts