Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used grooved frames last year but this year I got them from a different place for the new colony. They are wedge type. When I installed the wired wax foundation, it doesn't sit straight in the frame. It's almost like it is a bit too tall and there is a slight bow in it, some worse than others. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
I trim it down so there is a bit of slack; otherwise, as you observed it will bow out. Dont depend on the cross wiring to hold it in line if foundation is too tall. Aviation snips. Some foundation is made to drop down into split bottom bars so the height is not critical. Is your foundation wires hooked?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used grooved frames last year but this year I got them from a different place for the new colony. They are wedge type. When I installed the wired wax foundation, it doesn't sit straight in the frame. It's almost like it is a bit too tall and there is a slight bow in it, some worse than others. Any suggestions?
Go foundationless. I kept having the same problems. I tried foundationless and the bees draw out the comb faster and it is better for them and cheaper for me

1 - 3 of 3 Posts